Altenator

Old 05-31-02, 12:19 PM
BSB
Altenator

If the altenator goes out when you are driving, shouldn't the batter indicator (got one) light up instead of one of the others? (like anti-lock). Or will one of those light up, and only battery light come on if the charge drops to low?

Thanks

Brian
p.s any one know if the altenator drops out the bottom of the saturn sc2, or if p/s pump needs to be removed to remove the altenator? (1994)

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-02, 12:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Use a Delco or dealer sold rebuilt. The rest of these out there are junk for these applications. Cheaper from the dealer in the long run.

It comes out through the bottom. You have to remove the splash shield and the wheel. It comes out through there/the bottom.

Do an output test as I show in my post "The Basics" below. It's probably bad...common problem.

Old 05-31-02, 03:58 PM
BSB
Its bad, just put a meter on it, only reading battery. (12v, with alt I know should read 13-13.9v.) Guess I will go see if 20 min on jumpers will get me 56 miles down the road. hehe.

Brian

Old 06-01-02, 06:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Not likely. 56 miles? Geez to where?

Look up the alternator on AC Delco's website. Get the part # and then call up any jobber that stocks/orders Delco. Same thing as the Saturn rebuilt.

Done .

Old 06-01-02, 11:09 AM
BSB
Believe it or not I actualy got home last night. Its about 55-57 miles from work to my house (out in the boonies of Atlanta) Although I was worried about the P/S pump, was leaking on me again, Bled the system while sitting on jumpers, was still kinda noisy, but figured since I could only lift one side of the car at a time I had no choice, was running out of day light. Got the altenator out last night, and noticed that my P/S return line (alum pipe with L-bend, connected to the pump) was not placed in the holder, will that cause it to leak? Repositioned the line correctly and do not see any leaking 14 hours later. I would like to fix the leak before I put the car back on the road. I did replace the o-rings thinking that was the problem. Your thoughts?

Brian

Old 06-02-02, 07:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Gunk the engine down so it's clean, then observe for any leaks you find.

Old 06-02-02, 08:16 AM
BSB
Took the pump back off saturday while alt was out, took off tank and found that had a cut o-ring(tank to pump), replaced and put all parts back on. Bled system, started car and let idle for 10 min. no leaks.
Will test drive it today around the block a few times. and check for leaks. Should the P/S tank build pressure? not much but can hear it when removing cap.

Brian