ford tempo won't start - help

Old 05-31-02, 05:42 PM
danellis
Visiting Guest
Unhappy ford tempo won't start - help

I have a 1986 ford tempo that on Monday decided it would not start, and has not started since.

It turns over, and I have power, but it won't fire up. I has been exhibiting not starting, but only after it has been driven for a while. When the engine was warm, it would not restart, it would just go rur, rur, rur. Wait a half hour then it was ok.

Now it just rur, rur, rurs, and won't start period.

Any advice would really be appreciated. I hope to take a look at it tomorrow, but just don't really know where to start.

Thanks
dan

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-02, 06:00 PM
well you need to start by checking for fire you pull off a plug wire and stick a screw driver in the plug wire and hold the shank of the screw driver about 1/4 of an inch away from ground or something metal and then have someone crank the engine over as you hold onto the handle of the scew driver, basicly you need spark , compression, and fuel and the engine should run. so you really justy need to narrow down which you do not have and you will be well on the way to fixing the problem a test light a screwdriver are probably the minimum tools you will need if you dont have spark, if you have spark you may additionaly need a compression guage, a fuel pressure guage and a noid light to check for injector pulse assuming its fuel injected.

Old 06-01-02, 06:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The TFI module mounted on the distributor is the likely cause of no spark.

They are problematic with Fords and some are covered by a class action settlement depending on the type of module it has.

If there's no spark, pick up a Motorcraft module (save your receipt) and then call Ford to see if you can get some $$ back. Even if it's not your problem, the original part # has been superseded many times due to problems.