oil and gas blowing out of carb

Old 06-01-02, 05:45 AM
Rick Parker
Visiting Guest
oil and gas blowing out of carb

I have a Murray Ultra riding mower. It has worked fine for the last five years that I have owned the tractor. Wednesday I went to crank the motor and it would not turn over. I noticed that there was a puddle of fuel under the motor on the ground. I removed the filter cover and filter. There was also so a great amount of fuel siting in and around the carb. I removed the spark plug to relieve the pressure and turned the engine over several times. When I did this fuel blew out of the plug port. I rplaced the plug and tried to crank again. The engine sputtered for a short while, then fuel gushed out of the carb straight up like a geiser. The fuel seemed to have oil mixed in it???? Each time I tried to turn motor over, vast amounts of fuel and oil rushed out of the top of carb. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 06:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wrong forum, this belongs in small engines, please post it there.

At minimum, you need to rebuild the carb as it sounds like a stuck needle and seat or a bad float.

Old 06-02-02, 02:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Joe is right. You have carburetor problems. The float is either stuck, full of gas, or the needle and seat are leaking. You will need to clean the carb, replace the float and needle. (and seat if equipped) Also, drain the oil. When gas fills the combustion chamber, it leaks past the rings into the crankcase, mixing with the oil. You oil level is probably very high now and is diluted with gas. Change it after you stop the carb leak, but before you start the engine again.