Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Code 12

WI

06-01-02, 12:47 PM   #1  
Code 12

97 dodge caravan base, 3.0,v6. code 12 pops up. Acording to bat auto its a evaperation emission contrl system/purge control valve circuit malfunction. This seems to come and go, on one day, off for 3 weeks.on, off. Is this a glorified name for oxygen sensor going bad? Time to buy the chilton for this van.

Brian

Sponsored Links

06-01-02, 03:39 PM   #2  
that new of car is an obd 2 system and all the codes should be atleast 3 digits and maybe 4 so it cant be a code 12 you can have an evaporative emissions fault code and it has nothing to do with the o2 sensor the ecm monitors the pressure in the gas tank and can determine if you have a leak if everythings working correctly, this is why your gas cap says may cause check engine light if vehicle not shut off when filling the tank, there is several possible causes for the code and quite a bit of testing usually to figure out what is causing it a subscription to alldata is gonna give you alot more info than that chilton manual will.

WI

06-01-02, 08:04 PM   #3  
If I am doing the code read out correctly, on,off,on.off.on. Then the check eng light flashes once, pauses, and flashes 2 more times. Looks like 12 to me, will double check it again and see if I get the same read out.

I dont trust fueling with the vehicle running, no matter the temp.

Thanks for the input.

Brian

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 07:10 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Go to Autozone and they will rent you an OBDII scanner or check your codes for you.

Now tell us what the codes are. You cannot pull them in the conventional manner.

WI

06-02-02, 08:18 AM   #5  
Ok, thanks, will have em do that when I return the pulley puller.

Brian

WI

06-04-02, 01:38 PM   #6  
Took the van over to auto zone and had em pull the code. If I remember correctly it was 134, O2 sensor. Is it possible the sensor is just dirty? or when it codes out is it bad, or going?

Brian

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 06:00 AM   #7  
Joe_F
How many miles? Pitch the sensor for a new one. They are maintenance, not failure items.

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 10:24 AM   #8  
thekeymaker
have autozone diagnose it their saying they do it for FREE

Search this Thread