Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

car start issue

MD

06-01-02, 02:29 PM   #1  
car start issue

hello
this isn't really repair but close to it for ideas. i'd like opinions re: a product that's supposed to plug in your lighter and the other fellow's and in ten minutes you can start your car. does it work? does it hurt a '01' sentra? are jumpers better?
thanx alot
peterr

Sponsored Links

WI

06-01-02, 03:10 PM   #2  
If your talking about a portable jump start unit, there stand alone, only need it and the dead car. They come with both jumper cables to connect to the battery and a cig adapter, I am not sure it you can use it to start in the cig lighter, it may be for powering devices that use cig adapter. About $60, not sure if they can be recharged, I would think so, would be a waste of $60 if a one charge limit. Friends say they work, but thats all have heard about em.

Brian

MD

06-01-02, 03:29 PM   #3  
car start issue

hey brian-how are you doing on this nice sat eve?
i've seen the pack you describe but what i'm getting at is something my wife could use and it goes from one car's cig lighter to the other car's. when both are plugged in, the dead car waits about 5-10 minutes then supposedly the dead car will start or at least get the juice to start it if it's ready to run. it's like a little set of jumpers but it goes lighter to lighter.
sounds to good to be true that's why i'm askig for opinions and thanx much for yours.
peterr

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-02, 12:52 AM   #4  
What it does is send amperage from the car with the good battery through the lighter outlet in your car to the battery. It can work, but it's not the way to go. A good set of jumper cables is better. If you do use this device, make sure to unplug it before you try to start the dead car. The potential amperage draw on the connection between the 2 cars could fry your wires, or the other cars' wiring, or both. Also, the car that is charging the dead car needs to be running the entire time. Jumper cables do the same thing faster, and better, without the risk of burning up your wiring harness.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 06:55 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I agree with Cheese. All of the cars in my house have good jumper cables .

That being said, the "Power Packs" made by Schumaker Electric and are stand alone rechargeables are better than those hokey plug in jobs.

MD

06-02-02, 10:32 AM   #6  
JUMPERS

THANX CHEESE AND THE REST OF YOU ALL-AS USUAL I GET MY ANSWERS AT THIS SITE. SEE YOU SOON
PETERR

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 01:50 PM   #7  
trendar
I have one of those cables, and generally use it just to trickle charge a vehicle without having to open up the hood, using my regular battery charger. I can just leave my charger inside the locked car and let it trickle charge overnight without having to leave my hood open. (You won't be able to do this if you have a key switched lighter socket though)
As was mentioned, it can't deliver the kind of current necessary to jump a car with a dead battery, but it can transfer enough charge, given enough time, to allow you to start the car with a low battery.
The cable usually isn't a direct connection, but has some circuitry for current limiting, so you won't blow the 10 or 20A cigarette lighter fuse in your car. It also has a benefit in that you won't be creating any sparks in the engine compartment, so in that respect, it's safer.
If you have to start your car RIGHT NOW, you're better off with a decent set of jumper cables. If your battery really is deeply discharged, and you have the time, you're better off charging it up first instead of immediately starting the car with jumpers, and putting a strain on the charging circuit. If you're not sitting in your driveway, you probably won't have the time, though.
It's a handy item, but it's not a substitute for a good set of cables.

I recently used one of those power pack jump starters like those sold at Costco, and they work pretty well; standalone, so a second car isn't needed, and it delivered enough current to start up the car with the click-click-click battery condition. For emergency use, that would serve better than the lighter-lighter cable.

Last edited by trendar; 06-03-02 at 02:36 PM.

MD

06-04-02, 11:56 AM   #8  
CHARGER

HEY IT WAS GREAT TO GET ALL THAT ADVICE-I'LL STICK WITH MY JUMPERS AFTER ALL SAID AND DONE.
THANX GUYS
PETERR

Search this Thread