Powertrain control module & oxygen sensor

Old 06-01-02, 02:40 PM
ladyunderthehoo
Visiting Guest
Powertrain control module & oxygen sensor

1993 Cadilliac Deville, 4.9L, automatic.
Where is the PTM (powertrain control module) located and how do I replace it? Where is the oxygen sensor located and how do I replace it? Please send help to [email protected] Thank's.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-02, 10:42 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Question

What sort of problem are you having with the car & why do you think replacing the PCM & O2 sensor will cure it?

Old 06-02-02, 03:56 AM
ladyunderthehoo
Visiting Guest
Reply to knuckles

The computer read-out showed the code for the oxygen sensor and the PCM. Also, the SSS light is on. This stands for Speed Sensitive Steering. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-02, 06:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Again, as Knuckles stated, what problems are you having?

Changing a PCM if it's not bad is quite an expensive mistake.

The 02 sensor is a maintenance item and should be changed as a matter of course.

Old 06-03-02, 05:29 AM
ladyunderthehoo
Visiting Guest
Reply to JoeF

Thank you for your help. The car is having transmission problems and according to the mechanic, who rebuilt it twice, it is the PCM. Another mechanic (2nd Opinion) had the same answer. This mechanic also installed a circut breaker for the transmission fuse that keeps blowing out. When I bought the car (used), It had just had the transmission re-built. Four months later I started having trouble. The car lost its power and wouldn't shift properly. Took it to the trans. shop that re-built it, they installed some sort of fuse. Car ran fine for 2 months, same problem. This time the trans. has to be re-built (2 rebuilds in 6 months). Car ran fine for 2 months, happened again. I called the Cadillac dealership, they told me how to bring up the codes (in the climate control) the PCM, O2, and MAP sensor codes showed up. I replaced the MAP. Re-set the codes and the PCM and O2 showed up again.

Old 06-03-02, 06:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Something doesn't sound right...

Make sure there are not known bulletins on your problem at www.alldata.com

Also, have the PCM tested through a parts store to determine actual fault before spending the money on one.

Old 06-03-02, 10:56 PM
ladyunderthehoo
Visiting Guest
WOW! LOTS OF BULLETINS

Went to alldata.com and found 1 safety recall, 1 emissions recall, 3 general recalls and 287 service bulletins (1-1993 to 1-2002). OK, now what do I do with them? Thank you for telling me that I could have the PCM tested. I will do that before I spend the $160 for a new one. Maybe I should start there????

Old 06-04-02, 05:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, have it tested to be sure it's bad first.