longshot56_58
Visiting Guest
Starter

Nissan
Sentra SE-R
2.5L
6 Speed Manual Transmission
No recent repairs
I was falling asleep on the road and let my friend drive the car. We were at a checkpoint. He thought he stalled but I moved the stick before the car stalled, but he thought he stalled so he kept turning the key in the ignition and it made the worse noise in my life . The car is brand new but turning on the car just doesn't seem like what it use to be. Does anyone know what type of damage can happen to a car by doing that or what can I do to make sure nothing happened to my car? Or what is the noise the car is making when turning the key when the engine is already on? Please tell me any relevant information about this situation. This car is my baby and I want to make sure it is OK. Thank you all very much.

Old 06-02-02, 12:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The noise you heard was the starter drive gear trying to mesh with the flywheel gear on the engine. The problem is that the gear on the engine was turning, as the engine was running. The gear on the starter was just jamming and grinding on the flywheel gear. This can cause damage to the starter and the flywheel. If starting the car seems to be noisier than before, there is probably some damage done to one or the other, or both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: