Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

minor complications

06-02-02, 04:58 PM   #1  
minor complications

Thanks in large part to assistance received on this forum I've managed to correct the problem of coolant getting into the crankcase. I changed the head gasket,had the cylinderhead serviced,put it back together,and now it starts but there's a squealing which I think is the alternator belt--could be any of them though. There's also a visible leak of fuel around the throttle body. I cleaned the surfaces before mounting the air filter housing over it. Did I over do it?

Israel

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-03-02, 06:13 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Replace the throttle body gasket and make sure all your connections are snug.

Pitch all the belts for new ones without hesitation...don't play around with old junk there. Use only good quality replacements.

You did change the water pump too, right?

06-03-02, 03:57 PM   #3  
Uh, I didn't change the water pump. Guess I should. Is that standard? The fuel leak was bugging me all night, and I (duh) reused the combo manifold gasket. It looked good to me (lol). Could that cause the problem too?

Israel

Visiting Guest

06-04-02, 06:12 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Never reuse gaskets, never cheap out on a job. You'll do it twice...but you knew that .

Dump the water pump without reservation. Dump the gasket for the same reasons. Consider dumping the radiator as well.

Considering the car had a blown head gasket, in essence the cooling system was likely in a poor state. You don't want new parts mixed with problematic ones .

If I do a water pump job, EVERYTHING in the way that's expendable gets changed. This avoids rework. At the point you have it apart, it's the cost of parts, nothing more. Well worth doing the job twice for a 1.50 piece of hose, 10 dollar gasket, etc.

My .02

06-04-02, 12:25 PM   #5  
The heater core was partially clogged also, and is on my list to be replaced. Thanks for the advice. It makes sense. The water pump is going out. Would the faulty manifold gasket be responsible for a fuel leak, though? Also, the manual said something about a sealer being applied to the manifolds when replacing the gasket: what kind of sealer are they referring to?

Israel

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 05:35 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Always follow the gasket maker's recommendations when using sealer. Use Felpro gaskets, they are the best quality.

Check your fuel line connections thoroughly. Make sure no O-rings on the ends of the fuel lines are missing or broken. Call up the dealer and ask for an exploded view of the fuel lines and the throttle body.

Where is the fuel leaking from?

06-05-02, 12:27 PM   #7  
Around the base of the throttle body but not from the gasket. It's just below that.

Is

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 01:04 PM   #8  
Joe_F
With the engine cold, spray some carburetor cleaner in the general area.

If the idle changes, you have a vacuum leak for sure. Are you saying fuel leaks from around that area? Is there a gasket in that area between the TBI mounting and the base? If so, change the gasket.

Rule of thumb: If you disturb a gasket, you have to pitch it. They get compressed and don't always seal as well the second time around. There are some reusable gaskets in the Felpro line, but most of the time they are cheap and it's not worth it.

Did you buy a full head/combination Felpro set when you did the job? You should have . It would have all the needed gaskets for the job. The gaskets are the cheap part of the job .

06-05-02, 01:24 PM   #9  
No, I was lazy and reused the manifold gasket. Used no sealer. I confess. The throttle body gasket wasn't wet, but I'll check again. Could be either or both.

Is

Search this Thread