91 Buick century

Old 06-02-02, 06:01 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
91 Buick century

Looking to purchase a 91 Buick Century for my wife, 75,000 miles on it. It just had a major tune and has been sitting for almost a year as the previous owner passed away. Any thoughts on this and should I be looking out for anything special. 6 cylinder 3.3 liter. Thanks

Old 06-03-02, 06:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Avoid it. Sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Unless it's dirt cheap (i.e. free)....pass. These were not great cars and have a lot of annoying problems.

Old 06-03-02, 09:47 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Car is $1500, has new Battery, tires and a $400 tune up. Also the car is a 93 not a 91. Neighbor inherited it and doesn't want to pay for parking or constantly move it from side to side. Read the chilton site and it seems like it had some problems. Could you be a little more specific. Thanks

Old 06-03-02, 10:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Poor quality, intake leaks on the 3.1, oil leaks, erratic transmissions, poorly screwed together, slow, ugly and overall just "OK" at best.

Fairly straightforward to fix, parts are cheap, but it's going to need a decent amount if it's been sitting for a year...things go bad when cars are stored and not used like that.

I would say OK if it's a second car, but once you put it into service it's likely going to start to come unravelled a bit and will need a few things.

Surely needs all fluids changed, belts hoses, and other things gone through. Can't see how a tune up would cost 400 bucks unless all the filters were serviced. That car is distributorless...only the plugs and wires have to be changed.

Problem with these small cars is the quality is erratic. You get a good one or a bad one. For 1500 it might be worth a gamble, but not a car I'd recommend. It's one of those "if it comes cheap and I don't mind spending some money on it" then you're ok.

My .02

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: