contantly overheating Eclipse

Old 06-03-02, 12:38 PM
eclipse_man92
Visiting Guest
Unhappy constantly overheating Eclipse(DOHC 1.8L, non turbo))

I have a 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse(1.8L DOHC, non turbo, white smoke every now and then, but i'm not to woried about that right now, the fans do work, i'm not sure about the water pump, i'm pretty sure that it is working) that keeps overheating. I have replaced the thermostat. I'm not sure about the last cooling system service. I have no idea what else it could be. HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited by eclipse_man92; 06-03-02 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-02, 12:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When's the last time it has seen a cooling system service? How's the water pump?

DOHC or SOHC Eclipse? Turbo? Non turbo? Any white smoke from the rear of the car (blown head gasket)?

Do the electric fans come on? If not, bad switch, fans or relay that turns them on.

Need much more detail to be able to help....

Old 06-03-02, 01:19 PM
eclipse_man92
Visiting Guest
1.8L DOHC, non turbo, white smoke every now and then, but i'm not to woried about that right now, the fans do work, i'm not sure about the water pump, i'm pretty sure that it is working

Old 06-03-02, 03:58 PM
Over heating

( You said )
"white smoke every now and then, but i'm not to woried about that right now"

From your description I only can ask. Why not? Have you done any checks for the signs of a compromised head gasket?

Do you know how to check for a bad water pump? All the fans and thermostats, won't help with out coolant flow.

The cooling system is the simplest system on your automobile. A pump runs a liguid around all of the engines parts that develop heat. That is after a heat controled valve opens and lets the hot coolant flow through a heat disapator.

Anything that prevents any of the above will cause your engine to over heat & cause damage to your engines componants.

So 1. Determine if you have flow.
2. Do check your engines compression.
3. Test your sending unit and gauge or light for proper funtion.

Marturo

Old 06-03-02, 06:34 PM
eclipse_man92
Visiting Guest
I fixed the problem. I found out that the thermostat was bad. I will get a new head gasket as soon as possible.