Blower switch

Old 06-04-02, 09:06 AM
Blower switch

79 Chevy Blazer, full-size, 4x4, 350, automatic with air.

I can't get the blower switch to work on the high setting. This is the route I've taken over the last year (I'm slow) in trying to fix this:

1. replaced blower motor (just because)
2. removed the switch on the dash and cleaned it up (at time didn't have medium either), contact were dirty and rusted. I then had low, and medium)
3. went to dealer to get a new switch, got that but was told by the parts man that it could be another part, so I bought it too. I installed the 'other' part (goes under the hood, near the blower-in the evaporator/heater core case) which did help the strength of the air coming out on the two settings that I had. I'm sorry that I can't remember what it was called and I can't find any reference in book to its name. I can see the part in the picture in my book, but it isn't labeled.
4. Just the other day I decided to go ahead and install the new switch. Major ordeal since I have to pull the dash front off to get to it. That still didn't fix the problem. I had also cleaned the wiring connector before connecting to the new switch.

I am guessing/assuming whatever, that it is a wiring problem. These seem to be popping up on this truck lately. Is there a trick or a wonderful tip to working in and around the dash of these old trucks? I love this truck because of its solid construction, however it does make it hard to work behind the dash area, especially with wires. Very congested area, and nothing left to remove to give me access except for the glove box, which is on the passenger side of the truck.

I have a multimeter, but am not sure how to use it.

Thanks for your time and patience,

-Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-02, 09:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might check the connection of the switch, they melt after time.

The part you replaced from the dealership is called a blower resistor.

What speeds don't you have? Often times there is a connector at the right rear of the engine compartment on most GM vehicles which gets burned up and melts.

Simply cut the old connector out and replace it or splice the wires together. This is likely to be the problem at this age.

This vintage K5 Blazer is a good old horse. Solid until they rot to death. However, any truck parts magazine you trip over has the parts to rebuild and rebody them .

Old 06-04-02, 09:44 AM
I do love this truck. It is solid, and is our family station wagon. I feel safe when I'm toting the kids around, but also need to quit feeling so warm in there, too!

The a/c works great, thank goodness, but whoever is in the back seat gets a little uncomfortable during the hotter parts of the day since I can't seem to push the air hard enough back there.

I will check these other things out and repost.

Thanks again,

-Kay

Old 06-04-02, 09:46 AM
oh, sorry, didn't answer your question:

i just don't have the high position on the switch. Off, Low and medium work just fine.

-Kay

Old 06-04-02, 09:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the connector I mentioned for burned wires.