Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

85 Daytona Irratic Charge Voltage

Visiting Guest

06-04-02, 04:53 PM   #1  
5steins
85 Daytona Irratic Charge Voltage

1985 Chrysler Daytona - 2.2 liter turbo (modified with intercooler, chip, cam, head, oil cooler etc)
When I got it out of storage this spring I noticed that in idle (and only in idle) the volt meter flickers, wavers and is generally irratic - sometimes you can see the lights flickering too. Average aroung 14-15V even under load - so it is working. I changed the power and logic modules with spares, checked and tightened ground connections at both modules, checked the brushes in the alternator, cleaned battery terminals... it seemed to get better for one trip/day then it was back as it was. Any ideas?

Roy

Sponsored Links

06-04-02, 07:55 PM   #2  
I would charge the battery since its been in storage,drive the car and see if the problem persists.If it does check your alternator output for ac voltage with a good voltmeter.AC voltage leaking out of the alt can cause this problem.Usually no problem unless you start to get weird electrical problems.Ie strange codes or drivability problems.

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 05:53 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Was the spare module you used "stock"?

Most of those computer chip "upgrades" are hokey and not worth a wooden nickel and can cause more problems than they are worth. Most of these vintage Chryslers are troublesome with their computers as well.

The computer has an affect on charging voltage on a Chrysler like this as I recall.

I do agree with everyone's posts here though..

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 06:30 PM   #4  
5steins
Thanks - I'll try charging the battery although, I did charge it several times in the winter and pretty sure I charged it when I got the car out. If there is an AC ripple on the output of the alternator, I assume that means a bad diode in the rectifier? or could it be something else?

The spares are stock modules - the "chip" upgrade is actually a whole new logic module - a Chrysler Mopar upgrade designed to work with the Mopar intercooler - it has been on the car for 10 years plus with no problems. The logic module actually has the regulator circuit built in - it is sensed through a temperature sensor in the power module and the regulator output is fed back and amplified by the power module.

Roy

06-05-02, 07:00 PM   #5  
I would check the diodes and bridge rectifier.While your in there replace worn front and rear bushings and the brushes.By the way .3 volts ac is excessive voltage leak,I prefer no ac voltage ,since auto systems require dc.

Search this Thread