Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission question

06-05-02, 07:01 AM   #1  
Transmission question

What kind of symptoms will a malfunctioning TPS sensor do? Will the ECM use it to determine the shift points? Or does it use something else? This is a 94 Camry with I believe an electronic controlled transmission. The trans will sometimes (randomly) refuse to shift out of first gear untill almost the red line, it behaves just like I floor the gas pedal, even when I'm not. Sometimes it works fine. I can "manually" make it shift by quickly cycling (release about 1/4' then continue pressing) the gas pedal. I would like to be sure it's the TPS.....it's a $100 part..

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 07:12 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like internal failure of the transmission....

A TPS will not do that. You'd get hesitation/stalling with it going bad.

If the thing has to redline to shift, it's probably old and tired inside.

Mileage?

06-05-02, 07:27 AM   #3  
62K on the transmission. I believe the problem is electrical because of the symptoms, and because the ECU controls the shift points, but I can't figure out which is the most likely culprit. ( 94 Camry by the way). When it shifts nice (most of the time) it works perfect, you can't even feel the shift points. However, when it doesn't, it's really annoying because this is an engine which tops around 3500 rpms, after that the engine will tick, but there's nothing there. AllData isn't very "specific" on what symptoms each failing component will do.

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 10:26 AM   #4  
Joe_F
You can take the controller to any parts store for testing through their electronics supplier to determine fault if any in that unit.

06-12-02, 10:21 AM   #5  
Just wanted to let you guys know I finally fixed the delayed shifting problem. Or I should say had it fixed. One of the two shifting solenoids was defective, and not always engaging. One thing is for sure though, it's definetely difficult to reach them (they are right in the center of the valve body assembly, and they are worth a small fortune ($200 a pop, and there's 2 of them ). Replacing those two, along with a valve body rebuid kit (just in case) came up to $1100 (almost $700 in parts). But it was worth it, apparently when the solenoid was not engaging the pressure in first and second gear was almost double then what it should be. I don't know much about transmissions, but that doesn't sound good. It now shifts like a brand new car....
Now it's time to finally replace the rotors and the brake pads...they are pulsating as soon as the brakes get warm...and it's annoying...

Visiting Guest

06-12-02, 11:05 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Eeek, that's steep, but at least you got it going again.

Yea, Toyota calls them "Shift Solenoid A" and "B" in their parts literature from what I remember. Nice and specific . Lol.

I believe most of them are available in the aftermarket as well. Might want to try that next time.

06-12-02, 11:32 AM   #7  
Yes... but I have more trust in Toyota parts. If it would be something that I can simply unscrew and replace in 5 minutes then I can see myself using "the other's" parts. But in this case, I really don't want to pay another $400 to replace them again....

Visiting Guest

06-12-02, 05:08 PM   #8  
Joe_F
It depends.

I just fixed my mother's Maytag wall oven (see the saga in Jeff's appliance forum) and waited a month to find out the one bracket I needed might be obsolete. Lol.

The one they sent had the right number, but had a roller 1/2 the size of the other side (which was also new).

I had to cut off the smaller roller and press in the new one! So much for "exact factory parts"

Search this Thread