Need opinions on Buick engine?

Old 06-05-02, 05:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on Buick engine?

I am considering buying a 1994 Buick Century with a 3.1 Liter engine and was wondering if anyone out there ever had any experience with this motor? It has a fair amount of miles on it, 137K , but outside of that everything is A-One. I figure if the motor don't hold up I could always replace it with another and still have a decent car.... Thanx in advance for your input.

Old 06-05-02, 06:19 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
good workhorse

essentially the same design as a 2.8v6, but larger displacement. Generally a decent engine for GM and will give you good service as long as the previous owner was good about changing the oil (hello? joe? are you there?). Should have it compression tested and checked visually for head gasket leaks before committing.

Old 06-05-02, 07:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 3.1 is a good strong engine but at that mileage I would put new intake gaskets on it pronto.But be careful the intake and exhaust pushrods are different lenghts.

Old 06-06-02, 05:15 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Good engine, My wifes old car (now my work car) '91 Berreta, has 3.1 with 125K--does not use any oil, and still runs real strong. I have known people to get over 200K on them.

Old 06-06-02, 05:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lackluster vehicle overall, but easy to fix and service. Parts are cheap and readily available.

Suffers from intake leaks, oil leaks, it's crude and rough, but it gets the job done.

Yes, if you change the oil on basically ANY car with any frequency, it will likely reward you with good service life.

Pass on it unless it's free or dirt cheap otherwise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: