Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chyrsler Elec. Tranny in Spirit

Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 11:33 PM   #1  
Negoshe8n
Chyrsler Elec. Tranny in Spirit

I have a 90 Dodge Spirit with a 3.0 V6 with an automatic. The problem started like this. Push to much on the gas and it wouldn't shift out of 2nd at all. I have to turn the car off and start it up again to get the tranny to run right after it stops working. If I just putt around and not get on it more than I say 1/3 throttle it would drive fine. Now it doesn't shift into 3rd or 4th at all. I was told there is no output signal somewhere? I really didn't get much out of the shop that did a quick test on it. What sensor would do this? For 65 bucks an hour I'll ask here first. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-05-02, 11:53 PM   #2  
knuckles
The transmission defaults to 2nd gear when the ECM or TCM detects a problem. Could be something cheap like a Vehicle Speed sensor or something expensive like a solenoid pack or internal trans. failure.

To diagnose it correctly, you'll need a scan tool w/ TCM capability. If you don't have access to such a tool, take the car to a good independent trans. shop for diagnosis.

Visiting Guest

06-06-02, 06:02 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Knuckles 100%.

These trannies are crap with the overdrive and give up hope fairly quickly in their lifespan. They are also pesky and expensive to rebuild and have been known to be defective off the bench.

Not one of Chrysler's better efforts.

Search this Thread