Chevy Suburban Fuel Pump Stalling

Old 06-06-02, 08:51 AM
thebeck
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Chevy Suburban Fuel Pump Stalling

I have a 1989 Chevrolet Suburban V-8 automatic transmission. It is burning out fuel pumps causing the car to stall and die. My mechanic has replaced fuel pump twice, both burned out in about a month. Mechanic also found and repaired wiring harness where a rodent had nested under the hood. Mechanic will not replace pump again without finding the underlying problem but he is stumped by the diagnosis and has pretty much given up. He has not been able to get help from Chevrolet either.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-02, 09:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What brand of pump he is using? Some replacements are junk.

Old 06-06-02, 09:48 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but where the rodent nested "under the hood", was the fuel pump relay (on firewall) re-wired correctly? Has he checked the wiring down the frame for shorts?
I'm with Joe on the fuel pump, it is such a pain to change out (mine waited to die till right after a 40 gallon fill up) I went back with OEM on mine.

Old 06-06-02, 10:01 PM
the most common cause for reoccuring fuel pump failure is trash in the tank you may have to have tank either cleaned out if possible or replaced.

Old 06-07-02, 02:58 PM
pump

Have him check the connector at the top of the fuel sender.They get hot when a pump fries.He needs a bright light and good eyes it may be a minor discoloration of a terminal and current will not flow properly and cause the pump to overheat.Always change you in tank filter and the frame mounted one.Do not constantly run your tank low the pump is cooled by gas.If you run it low then pump in fresh gas stored underground(very cool)on a overly warm pump you will be dead in the water so to speak.By the way GM sells new connectors you can splice in.