86 lesaber hesitates,pops thru air filter then takes off

Old 06-06-02, 09:29 AM
iggyman73
Visiting Guest
86 lesaber hesitates,pops thru air filter then takes off

history: 35,000 miles,231 v6 type 3 eng....It all started when car woudt start in driveway. turn over but no go. magnavox coil pack very hot in ctr coil,new coil same story,replaced modual&coil as a unit from junkyard.Took new coil back to store.now car starts but after a few min. warmup the idle seems like it went down alittle,rougher. take for aride & when giving gas car hesitates& a pop goes thru air filter and car goes as i go along and car deselerates i give it the gas it hesitates,pops and takes off. i changed egr,now im looking at cam or crank senser. no codes come up on dash.need help before 82.00 diag. bill

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-02, 10:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably a bad MAF sensor. Start the car, idle it, and then tap on the body of the MAF with a screwdriver. If the car chuggles/wants to stall, then the MAF is bad. Replace it with a new one.

Old 06-06-02, 04:59 PM
iggyman73
Visiting Guest
thanks for answer joe. Do u know the J tool used to set camshaft senser, it looks like along shim,mbut what thickness. Ill try tapping the map as soon as rain stops

Old 06-07-02, 05:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check with www.autolibrary.org, a shop manual or Alldata.com for the J tool #.

Or contact Kent Moore and ask them.

Old 06-07-02, 03:33 PM
iggyman73
Visiting Guest
joe.i tapped maf & no diff. ....Let me ask u this. Lets assume car ran ok before modual & coil burned out. Junkyard part got the car running..so modual is getting spark to coil....So i started pulling coilwires at mod to see spark, im getting spark from all of them but when i pulled the last 2 coil wire<not at same time>i noticed that spark would arc down to screw head which holds down coil to modual. i dont see any cracks ...is this normal...so far it only happens at 2 wires from the last coil & i dont see arcing to the screwhead when the wire is put back on. i didnt try checking for spark at plug head..should I?

Old 06-07-02, 10:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Avoid using questionable junkyard parts. Cars are in junkyards for a reason .

GM went through a host of coil/module changes on these cars. Make sure you have the latest and greatest on the car.

A parts store can test them to determine fault before you replace them.

Also see the links below in my signature file.

Old 06-08-02, 05:23 AM
iggyman73
Visiting Guest
stamford ct. part stores dont check ,auto zone does but not that old. and although i hear u about junk parts $ is a factor. thats why i was hoping for some feed back from others with same prob.today im gonna check spark to plugs,maybe drive car with 1 of the arcing wires off see if makes diff. also if anyone knows of apart store in or around stamford,ct that checks mod with coilpack,i would love to hear from u