no power when accelerating

Old 06-06-02, 04:19 PM
SweetSusi4
Visiting Guest
no power when accelerating

1994 Ford "Exploder", 130,000 miles, 4.0; 6cyl.; fuel injection, manual transmission, no strange noises, no leaks anywhere, oil changes every 2000 miles, tune-ups twice a year

Parts replaced: thermostat *about 1year and a half ago; battery *2 years ago

Problem: Upon acceleration, as to get out into traffic, the engine bogs down and there is no power, it does not go at all. If I let up on the gas a bit, acceleration picks up, but it takes about 100 yards to pick up good speed.

Another problem: Don't know if it is related or not. It takes two or three tries to get it cranked from a cold start This happens all the time, doesn't matter what the temp is outside.

Can you help?

Thank you,

"Susie" the

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-02, 06:21 PM
Possible fuel filter problem.Also may want to tune her up if you haven't lately(plugs,cap,rotor button,etc.)

Old 06-06-02, 06:23 PM
Sorry,didn't notice the tune ups twice a year.Some shops though call a tune up just changing the plugs so you might check the other items mentioned.

Old 06-06-02, 07:40 PM
SweetSusi4
Visiting Guest
My "Exploder"

Thanks Fordtech. Picked up a fuel filter today, now I just have to figure out how to change it. Just kidding. I have a book that shows it all.

If there is a book about it, I can fix it!!!

Thanks again,
********GOD BLESS AMERICA***********

"Susie" the

Old 06-07-02, 08:08 AM
No Problem.Hopefully it will work.Good luck

Old 06-07-02, 02:32 PM
Exploder

Ckeck to see if you have oil in your intake hose.If you do clean the wire in the mass air flow sensor with a little carb cleaner.You may also have a plugged converter.But try the fuel filter as fordtech suggested first.At you mileage I would also check fuel pressure the pump may be getting tired.

Old 06-07-02, 07:03 PM
MnMchronic2002
Visiting Guest
I think I may know

I had the same problem with my truck, try getting your timining checked, when I got mine fixed, my truck ran smooth. It actaully went somewhere when I pressed the gas pedal.