88 chrysler new yorker, two issues

Old 05-19-07, 11:57 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
88 chrysler new yorker, two issues

I recently purchased a 1988 Chrysler New Yorker Landau, with the 3.0L V6.

First issue:
When I start the vehicle, it doesn't like to stay running. Unless I give it plenty of gas right away, the engine will die. It doesn't make me wait to try again, but I have to hold it up at a higher rpm until it can sustain itself. What would cause that?

Second issue:
After a few short trips at highway speed running the air conditioner, the compressor (I think) started smoking and braking became sloppy. I don't know if the braking was related to the compressor, but not running the AC prevents these problems. I don't believe the system has ever been retrofitted to R-134a, will that help, or do I need to replace things right away?

I checked for error codes, but didn't get anything. If any more information is needed, I'd be happy to share. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by breyette; 05-19-07 at 11:59 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar **** and was fixing an embarassing mistake.
Old 05-20-07, 09:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All these problems are probably related to a bad belt pulley.

If a bad belt or pulley/bearing is the case, this would cause your A/C compressor to burn up and also not provide the car with power.

Inspect all your belts and pulleys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: