Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1999 Crown Victoria hubcaps...

06-09-02, 06:21 AM   #1  
1999 Crown Victoria hubcaps...

My parents' car. The hubcaps make a very annoying sound when driving slow. Kind of a squeek and grind noise. They are on as tight as you can get them. They have these little pointed things that attach them to the wheel. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what to do? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-09-02, 06:53 AM   #2  
trendar
Do the tires contact the hubcaps at all? Possibly check tire pressure if so-
You could make sure it's the hubcaps and not something else by removing them temporarily-

06-09-02, 07:04 AM   #3  
I don't think the tires are in contact with the hubcaps. I'll check for sure. Tire pressure is right on the money. Dad had Ford replace the hubcaps once. Seemed to help for awhile. Now it's out of warranty.

Visiting Guest

06-09-02, 07:14 AM   #4  
trendar
Seem odd that they would shift at all if they were tight, but I've noticed the same kind of thing on one of my cars in the past, I think a Chrysler with full cover hubcaps. Don't really recall the cause, though. Do the caps move at all on the wheel when you just push on it? I suppose you could try to lube the contact points with some grease to see if that has any effect on it.

06-09-02, 05:37 PM   #5  
I thought about greasing or oiling those points, but wondered if it might try to pop off the wheel. I might try that on one of 'em. They don't move at all when I push on them. They feel really solid on the wheel. I pounded on them with a rubber mallet all the way around each wheel. Dad said he heard another car doing that the other day. It's a sound you won't forget if you ever hear it. Thanks guys.

06-09-02, 05:55 PM   #6  
Don't know if this helps, but my dad had a 92 Caprice that would make a really annoying noise that seemed to come fromt he tires. Turned out to be small rocks (like from a construction site or gravel driveway) trapped between the hubcap and the wheel. The gravel on metal sound was really irritating. Happened more than once. About once every 2 or 3 months. PITA.

Visiting Guest

06-10-02, 05:37 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Try swapping the hubcaps around. It's the locking mechanisms that do that.

My 84 Olds does that with the wire wheels too. I just take them off every once and a while and reset and tighten them, it goes away.

Take off the hubcaps and locking spindles. If there is no noise on your test drive, you found your problem.

Search this Thread