Can Speaker Wire Be Used For Power ???

Old 06-09-02, 07:07 AM
D M C
Visiting Guest
Smile Can Speaker Wire Be Used For Power ???

Hi,i will be doing the stereo in my BMW and i plan to run power cable direct from the battery to the CD player,in all the stereo shops i went they all have wires that i find to be too thick like 10 gauge,i had in mind 12 gauge so here is my dillema ...can i use speaker wire as power wire 12 gauge.Some say you can some scare me by saying i could have a fire started because the speaker wire is not made to carie 12 V,10 amps for a run of aprox.16' (the battery in BMW's is in the trunk ),can somebody clear this up for me please,personally i'm confused.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-02, 08:50 AM
I just got off the phone with my son who installs car stereos and he said that to run 12 gauge speaker wire from the battery to a cd player would be fine. Even a long run like you're doing, however, you may find that on a run that long that you will need a larger gauge (smaller number) if you add on a lot more things simply because the longer the run, the less juice that reaches the electronics. Do start with the 12 gauge, and install inline fuses. This will save you some heartache later. Just use the proper connectors for the job and make sure the wires are secure.

(He installs radios for the car audio shows, if you're wondering.)

-Kay

Ps. They just arrived in Vegas 2 days ago and don't have internet service yet. As soon as they do, I will direct him to this post so he can answer the questions himself, if you have more for him.

-K.

Old 06-09-02, 08:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Too thick is generally never too thick. Use the required gauge to prevent problems and possible fires.

Old 06-09-02, 09:14 AM
Note:

I probably should have noted this as well: I have never seen my son or his partner install stereos, boosters, cd players and like using speaker wire as the main electrical wiring. They always used those thick blue and red wires to make their connections. I didn't think to note that since the installs are usually for speakers, huge boxes that house these huge speakers, etc. You know, the kind of 'noise' that makes old people like me crazier than I already am *lol*.

As Joe said, wouldn't hurt to do it right the first time so there will be no problems later down the line. Safer is always better than cheaper! Also, my son always follows the recommended wiring from the manufacturer of each and every component installed. Even if this involves using 15 different type wires and/or connectors. Insures a satisfied customer, safety for the customer and no problems with electrical later down the line.

-Kay

Old 06-09-02, 09:22 AM
Note:

somehow this message posted twice.

-Kay

Last edited by kaybyrd; 06-09-02 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-09-02, 10:13 AM
D M C
Visiting Guest
THANK YOU ALL (12 G.SPEAKER CABLE!)

I though so,i will be buying some 10 gauge "proper" power cable,why take chances,right.