stalling

Old 06-09-02, 01:01 PM
stalling

Buick 93 3.3 Started stalling after warm, after a few minutes it started up again. My wife was driving. I drove it a few blocks and it felt like fuel starvation. Just bought it and I have no history. Plugs look new, fuel filter looks new. Helpppppp

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-02, 07:48 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
does the check engine light come on right when you turn the key to run and stay on for a couple seconds? also does the check engine light come on when the problem happens. Do you know how to check codes by jumpering the a and b terminals at the aldl?

Old 06-09-02, 08:38 PM
No, the check engine light, along with all other lights come on when starting then when the engine turns over and starts the lights go out. This is the first car I've owned with any type of computer so I have a lot to learn

Old 06-10-02, 05:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with the posts and links in my signature file below. Tell us what you find.

Old 06-10-02, 03:07 PM
Changed a clamp on the positive cable this morning and it started right up. Drove for 4 hours on the highway with no problem, then got into 5 pm traffic and it kept stalling over and over. I pulled into a shop and the guy drov it a few blocks and said it was stuck in drive cause a switch in the tranny has probably melted, The switches name eludes me at the moment. Put the car in neutral and it idles well and purrs. The diagnosis sound right on to me but I've never heard of this switch. Unfortunately I bought the Haynes manual and brought it in the house to read last night and my wife forgot to pack it. Thoughts, opinions, prices. Thanks

Old 06-11-02, 05:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably a stuck TCC solenoid if it stalls in drive....sounds like it a bit from your description.

Price depends on what's wrong with it....find out more detail first.

Old 06-11-02, 08:34 AM
Joe, it stalls in drive only at a light or while going very slow. It's kind of like when I learned to drive a three speed manual trans and I put it in third instead of first and if you didn't feather it quite properly the car would stall. From what I'm told I have no first or second gear. From reading the other posts on stalling there is another person, spankyme1 who has a similar problem. While on the highway and when cold it runs like a champ and when decellerating or starting from a stop it feels like I'm always in high gear. If my problem is a torque converter clutch and the pin is pulled, what are the consequenses of leaving it like that as opposed to fixing the problem? Thanks

Old 06-11-02, 08:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's probably ok if you leave it out for now. You'll lose some MPG but it will probably be allright.

Long term you want to fix it as the converter should lock up for best performance and fuel economy.

Old 06-11-02, 03:24 PM
well I decided, mostly because I was away from home and had the wife and dog to let the shop deal with my problem. What the did was an a/t filter kit 23.00 a valve body cover gasket, 11.00 an a/t solenoid 62.00 a pan gsket and filter 54,00 and a solenoid check ball 114 in labor, at fluid 6q 15,00 for a total of 289,00. Drove the car and it was wonderful. Thanks for all your help