Toyota Camry that won't start...

Old 06-09-02, 05:22 PM
raymo8
Visiting Guest
Toyota Camry that won't start...

1995 Toyota Camry
4 cyl. engine

Somebody please help!!! The other night when I was driving home in a rain storm, my car suddenly stalled out. I had it towed home and haven't been able to start it since then. My guess was that I probably got something wet inside the engine from driving through puddles and that once it dried out, it would start again. But that hasn't been the case. I let it sit outside in dry weather for 3 days now and it still won't go. When I turn the key, I can hear a spinning noise but the engine won't start. It doesn't sound like the engine is turning over but rather that the starter motor is turning over. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-02, 05:49 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Can you see if the engine pulleys turn while you're cranking? If it doesn't, and you just hear a spinning sound (not a normal cyclic engine compression sound), something's wrong with your starter, though it seems unusual this would suddenly happen at the same time your car stalled out by itself.
Hopefully it's not a broken timing belt..

Old 06-09-02, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
I think trendar might have hit it - possible timing belt. Possible the fact it was raining was just a coincidence.

The sound of engine turning over that has a broken timing belt is fairly distinctive. My best description of the sound is
"wee-wee-wee-wee-wee-wee". Say that real fast and it's pretty much the sound.

Question: How many miles on car and have you ever replaced the timing belt?

The good news is that engine is not an interference (aka valve-bender) engine, so if it's the belt that will be the extent of the repairs needed. Good, reliable motor; my wife's has 135,000 miles on it.

Old 06-10-02, 05:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Take off the distributor cap. Have someone crank the car. If the distributor rotor doesn't turn, you found your problem, broken timing belt.

If it does turn, start with my posts and signature file below.

Old 06-10-02, 10:26 AM
raymo8
Visiting Guest
don't tell me it's the timing belt...

hey guys,

thanks for the replies although the timing belt sounds like bad news! The camry has 110,000 miles on it and the timing belt has never been replaced. Should it have been by now? I'll try the test tonight by taking the distributor cap off and cranking the engine to see if anything spins. Then I'll post another reply to let you know what happened. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, 1 more thing! If it is the timing belt, how expensive is this generally to have fixed and where do you recommend that I take it? Or is this something that I could do myself? I have some mechanical knowledge but have never replaced a timing belt before.

Old 06-10-02, 10:54 AM
The timing belt should be replaced every 60K miles on a 95 Camry. You certanly got a few more miles then that. It shouldn't be too difficult, make sure you get a good factory manual or an AllData subscription to guide you through. A Chilton's book is not good enough. Change the water pump at this time also. You should not need any "special" tools, other then a puller. There are 2 bearings in there, make sure you inspect them for play. An air compressor with a good impact wrench is almost needed, the lower bolt is a pain to take off. I would say this is a 4-6 hour job for the first time. As a sidenote, make sure you use Toyota parts. You don't want to do this again... and the parts are actually not that expensive.

Old 06-10-02, 10:56 AM
Oh yes, it should be around $300 to replace the belt (about 1.8 hours of labor), add about $200 more for the water pump. All this info is for a 4 cylinder Camry, 6 cylinders will be a bit more....

Old 06-10-02, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Concur on the need for an impact wrench to remove the crank pulley. I did my wife's a couple of years ago (it's about due again) and my Haynes manual was rather optimistic about getting that bolt out ("loosen bolt and remove pulley"; yeah, right!). I ended up driving it to one of our friendly garages for a quick (braaaap) with a gun and then drove it home to do the job over the weekend. I think the belt runs about $60 if I remember right, but that might be wholesale.

Old 06-10-02, 01:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
TowGuy:

No air compressor in your arsenal of tools ?

I have to hook mine up (want to put a dedicated circuit) but coming from working with my neighbor (he sold his shop recently ), you get used to these things and can't live without them.

Old 06-11-02, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
Afraid I'm pneumatically-deprived (depraved?). Don't really have a need for the air power often enough to justify the costs and have carte blanche at one of the shops. Plus my garage is alrady tight quarters due to my wood shop.

Old 06-11-02, 05:44 AM
raymo8
Visiting Guest
hey guys...

I received the bad news last night. I took off the distributor cap and had someone turn the key. The rotor didn't budge. I think that I'm gonna have a mechanic put in a new timing belt and water pump. I was reading about it last night and it looks like a job that's way over my head!! Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I saved myself a diagnosis charge by finding the problem rather than letting the mechanic find the problem.

Old 06-11-02, 05:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I used to think that, but my neighbor sold his shop .

I have my own stuff now, although he's eventually going to work out of his house.

Air tools are a reasonably priced and good investment.

Old 06-11-02, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Be thankful it's a Toy and not a Honda, Raymo; about $1000 difference in repair costs for a busted timing belt.

Old 06-11-02, 08:12 PM
carlosryan
Visiting Guest
i also heard that camry's especially 80's had the computer in a precarious place. a spilled drink on the console could spell doom for your computer. rain also has a way of finding this poorly placed ecu.

Old 06-12-02, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Toytoa made lots of improvements since the 80's; as I recall the earlier models may have been valve-benders.

Old 06-12-02, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This 2.2 5SFE engine is not an interference engine according to my Gates wall chart...so you are ok in this regard.

Search this Thread