Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lighting, 90 Cutlass Supreme

Visiting Guest

06-09-02, 05:39 PM   #1  
northernmi
Lighting, 90 Cutlass Supreme

OK. 1990 Cutlass Supreme. V6, 3.1...Power everything except seats. No aftermarket add-ons exept simple stereo done years ago. 180.000 miles, runs good, looks good. It's like the enegizer bunny.
The rub? Turn signal and brake lights. I have one...repeat ..one brake light, and no turn signals. All bulbs are good, emergency flashers even work!
I suspect I have a problem with my turn signal switch? But how would this seemingly affect the brake lights? are they routed through the signal? I have started to notice that ther are many other olds products of that age going down the road with similar problems to mine. What gives?
I have tilt steering and had to replace an ignition switch a few years back, so I dread tearing the thing apart not knowing for sure if I am going to fix the problem or not. After noticing the olds light trouble on other cars, I wondered if GM did something silly like forget a grommet somewhere.
Oh, My third brake light does not work either
Thanks for any help...Dave

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-10-02, 12:03 AM   #2  
Shoney
NorthernMi,
Dave

Your 90 Olds Cutlass Supreme has a brake light and signal light and hazard light circuit that all are routed via the turn signal switch. You say that only 1 brake light is functioning and that none of the signal lights are operative.

Turn on the Hazard light switch. That will verify if the circuits to the 4 corners of the vehicle are intact and if the lamp assemblies are functional.

An 18 ga. Orn wire is the stop lite switch feed from the Fuse Block. An 18 ga. Wht wire is the stop lite switch output to the signal light switch in the steering column. This white wire also provides the feed to the High Mounted Stop Light at the rear window of the vehicle.

When the turn signal switch is in the middle position the stop light feed, from the brake pedal switch mentioned above, applies to both LH and RH rear signal lamp bright filaments. When the signal light switch is moved to the LH turn position the above stop light feed is only connected to the RH rear bright filament and the turn signal feed from the turn signal flasher is directed to the LH rear and LH front bright filaments.

When you change the turn signal switch to the RH turn position, the bright filaments of the lamps on the opposing side of the vehicle function in the same manner as the LH signal selection, but now all the controlled lamps are at the opposite sides of the vehicle.

HTH Shoney

Search this Thread