Wet Passenger Floor

Old 06-09-02, 05:50 PM
Wet Passenger Floor

My girlfriend has a 2002 Saturn SL2 with about 3k on it. We've noticed over the past few days that the passenger floor has been SOAKING wet. We thought it was just because of the rain, but the problem has persisted. I took a look today and noticed a drip by the floor vent. When I run the defroster with the temp set to high the drip increases and the water is hot. When I turn on the AC and run the defroster with the temp on cold the drip is slower and the water is cool. Needless to say I want to get this fixed ASAP. I plan to take the car to the dealer 2morrow morning while she is at work, being that this is a lease I expect the repair to be covered by warranty. I don't want to walk in blind and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem may be and if it could be a major one? The coolant level seems ok but I'm not sure because I was hesistant to take off the cap to the reservoir since it was pressurized and I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-02, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention if the fluid in question was clear water or coolant. If it is a coolant leak you should notice a sickly sweet smell. If it is clear water what you probably have is the drain line for the ac evaporator is clogged or pinched somewhere so instead of the excess condensation being routed outside is backing up into the ac ducting. With the ac running you should be getting some condensation dripping or running out of the drain hose and making a puddle under the car. Normally the hose is simply routed through the firewall into the engine compartment in a downward direction for it to drain properly. If you're not seeing any water under the car while the ac is running, but have dripping water on the passenger floorboard, that's likley the probelm.

Old 06-09-02, 06:26 PM
Its not coolant, it is water. I haven't had a chance to check for a puddle under the car, but the fact that having the heat on increases the drip is what boggles me. I also noticed that right by the vent in question is a piece which is hot and another which is cold, due to this the cold piece is "sweating". I'm not sure what these are. I checked alldata and there are no TSBs. I love a good mystery.

Old 06-09-02, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure of the configuration on that particular car, but I would say the hot one would have to be associated with the heater core and the cold one with the ac evaporator. At any rate the sweating and/or condensation from the evaporator looks to be the culprit. The way you describe it does sort of make you think it could be something needing a TSB. Be sure and post back what the dealership says.

Old 06-09-02, 08:03 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
your ac runs when the defroster is on. I say it is the drain tube being clogged with crud, easy fix just crawl under the car and look up where the heater hoses enter the black box on the firewall. there should be a short rubber hose on the lowest point of the box. most times the tube could be squeezed and the crud just falls out, others might need a screwdriver shoved up there but be careful not to poke it too hard as you might hit the evaporator or heater core and make a big mess

Old 06-10-02, 07:27 PM
Yeah, it was the drain plug. Pretty sad that it clogged so quickly. Now to just get rid of that musty smell. Yay, I get to spend the day shampooing somebody elses car. Thanks for the help guys.