Automotive A/C Compressor Replacement

Old 06-09-02, 05:52 PM
LOULUPO
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Automotive A/C Compressor Replacement

I have a 1992 Olds Regency Elite that has 125k miles but is in good shape and rides smoothexcept for the AC. I had a leak about two years ago with the old R-12 system so it was recharged with R-134. A year later in the Spring of 2001 it had to be charged again SO I guess there was another leak OR like someone here said the R-134 tends to leak out easier. The beginning of this Spring there was a few hot days and it cooled OK or so I thought. I thought it wasn't cooling properly but on the highway at high speed on an 1 hour trip it seemed to work O.K. At traffic sppeed it was not working well. I took it to my regular mechanic and he recharged the system after evacuating it and said that I would need a new comppressor and he recommended a new drier/ reciever since the manufacturer of the compressor would not warrant it without replacing the cannister. The job will cost $500-$600. The system does cool but only after about 20 minutes of highway travel. Will a compressor along with the replacement of the reciever/ dryer ensure that I won't need a recharge again next year? Would you recommend any other alternatives? How about the evaporator? That's just about the whole system. Any info greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-02, 07:56 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
when the change to 134 was done did they replace the drier, oriface (sp), and o-rings? I would think if they did there wouldn't be a problem. If they didn't I would change the drier, compressor, o-rings, and oriface (sp) tube just to be on the safe side. I would also ensure that before recharging to put the system into a deep vaccum overnight if possible to ensure there are no leaks.

Old 06-10-02, 05:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. What was changed during the retrofit? The drier should have been done with the initial conversion.

Old 06-12-02, 09:04 AM
R134 does not work as well in a R12 system period. The dryer should have been changed with the conversion just as Joe said. One thing most people miss during a conversion is that you should put 85% of the refrigerant capacity when converting. For example if your system calls for 4 lbs of R12, you should only put in 3.4 lbs. of R134. Too much R134 will make your air warm. Additionly, a lot of people add an electric fan to the condensor which helps the R134 cool better.

Old 06-12-02, 11:05 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
R-134a as stated doesn't cool as well as R-12. Sometimes a larger condenser also needs to be installed.