Tranny

Old 06-10-02, 08:38 AM
SLINGER
Visiting Guest
Tranny

I HAVE A 1988 CHRYSLER DYNASTY MY TRANNY IS SLIPPING SOME ONE TOLD ME TO HAVE FLUID FLUSHED AND REPLACE DEXTRON WITH ATF +3 ALLTHOUGH THE DIP STICK SAYS USE ONLY DEXTRONII WHAT WILL I DO ? THE COST TO FLUSH IS ABOUT 159.00 CANADIAN. WILL THIS SOLVE MY PROBLEM.?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-02, 09:37 AM
I'm not a transmission expert, but I believe that no amount of flushing and replacing the ATF fluid will solve your slippage problem. It may actually make it worse. I believe it's time for a rebuid....

Old 06-10-02, 09:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dexron II is outdated product. Dexron III replaces it and meets all service requirements of II.

I agree that it is unlikely that your tranny will be helped by flushing it. If a simple fluid and filter change doesn't help, internal failure is likely.

Those 4 speed overdrive transmissions on that era Chrysler aren't worth a wooden nickel and are problematic from the get go.

Old 06-10-02, 10:11 AM
SLINGER
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up thnx guys heres what i found

explanations, testimonials, and details on how the Chrysler electronic transmission is designed, click here.

A painless way to fix a "bad" transmission!When you change your transmission fluid, always use the recommended (in the manual) fluid. (1989-91 owners, ignore the manual and use ATF+3 or +4).

Don't just assume your mechanic or dealer knows what fluid to use. Ask them what they will use and make sure it's the right one. (Some people recommend watching the mechanic pour it in, and for good reason! We have been told about mechanics who said they were using ATF+3 when they were not. Is a customer's transmission worth the $10 for better fluid?)

All Chrysler four-speed automatic transmissions* are very sensitive to the quality of the transmission fluid. Only use Type ATF+3 or ATF+4 in these transmissions (ATF+4 in 2000 and up models). Do not use Dexron or Mercon.

Often, people can cure their transmission problems simply by changing the fluid and retraining the computer! If you suspect (or know) they have put Dexron in, invest the $40 or so to have it replaced immediately - otherwise, you'll have a nice big transmission bill! [if you have a 1993-95 transmission, also follow TSB-18-24-95 and get your computer updated!

Master tech Chris Taurman wrote: "changing the fluid alone in 93-95 units is a short term fix; the TCM must also be flashed or replaced to prevent the fluid from becoming degraded again and to eliminate partial "EMCC" TCC operation which was the cause of 90% of TCC shudder complaints (NOT THE CONVERTER ITSELF!) as well as the aforementioned bump down (shift scheduling changes in the software took care of most of low mileage complaints).]

There is no universal automatic transmission fluid. Chrysler four-speed automatics only use ATF+3 (ATF+4 for 2000 and up vehicles), regardless of what the dipstick or owner's manual says.

Do not use Dexron with an additive. Richard Widman passed us an extensive report from reputable gas company Chevron, which compared ATF+3 fluid with Dexron plus various additives. They found that neither of two major brands matched ATF+3's performance specs.
http://www.allpar.com