99 Expedition Windows

Old 06-10-02, 09:10 PM
99 Expedition Windows

I own a 99 ford expedition. The rear right windows is down all of the way and will no longer go up. There is power to the switch and it is working properly. The windows will not go up from either the master control, or rear right windows control. When I click the windows switch with the car not running the light dims, just as all the other windows do. I don't know how to get the trim panel off. I have a 97 and 98 haynes expedition and ford pickup manual (no 99 avaliable). It goes into detail for front door panel, but it doesnt really apply to the rear doors, plus it doenst cover my year. Please help.

If I end up having to bring it in, how much am I looking at (not FORD) Im in the chicago area

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-02, 05:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the links below in my signature file for starters.

Old 06-11-02, 11:32 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

This is a pretty common problem w/ Ford power window motors, but it's easy to fix.

Have a helper sit in the driver's seat & hold the power window switch in the up position while you repeated SLAM the door very hard. This will almost always jar the armature enough to get the motor running. Cycle the window up & down a few times to clean the armature & brushes & you'll be good to go.

Sounds barbaric, but it doesn't hurt anything, it's free & it works.

Old 06-11-02, 08:44 PM
Ok well I had the door apart, unbolted the glass raised it enought to close the windows, and put some wood in their to support it. The motor would still not run, could it still be stuck of should i try slammin

Old 06-11-02, 09:49 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

If you have the door apart, try tapping on it w/ a hammer while someone activates the switch. A few gentle taps should be enough to get it moving.

Old 06-11-02, 10:10 PM
merlo
Visiting Guest
After taking the door panel off, I would try bringing power straight to the motor from a 12V source to make sure the problem is the motor, and not the switches, wiring, etc.

Old 06-12-02, 05:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with both Merlo and Knuckles.

Have you checked with www.alldata.com for known bulletins?

Or is this another Ford "exclusive"? Lol.

I wouldn't accept that on a 3 year old premium vehicle like this. The dealer would be eating this repair under warranty if it were my truck

Old 06-12-02, 10:40 AM
There is 12 volts to the motor and when i hit the up or down button it drops to about 10, with car running 13 volts, drops to 11 or so

Old 06-12-02, 10:46 AM
If, when you apply power to the motor, you can hear it hum, then you either have a stuck linkage, or the motor's bearings are seized. If it's simple (screws) to unbolt the motor off the linkage, and the motors spins that way, then most likely the window linkage is stuc somewhere. The votage drop says that the motor is trying to spin, but something isn't allowing it. The same happens if you have a fan, and you lock the blades, but attempt to start it. It will of course not be able to spin, but it will try, which will increase its current draw, which will then lower the voltage.