Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing door trim ?

Visiting Guest

06-11-02, 04:36 AM   #1  
stilllearning23
removing door trim ?

1977 Toyota Celica GT Liftback -- I am trying to remove the exterior shiny stainless steel door trim which wraps around the top door edge at the driver's window opening . What is the correct way to do this ? I previously removed the inside door panel , but did not see any obvious paths to follow . Are there hidden screws ? Is this simply snapped into place ? Is this glued ? Any pitfalls to avoid which would crimp the trim ?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-11-02, 05:45 AM   #2  
Joe_F
A quick call to any Toyota dealer should net an exploded view of the trim and you'll see if there are any screws that might be hidden.

Have the guy in the parts department show it to you on the microfilm or computer screen.

What does your service manual have to say?

Visiting Guest

06-11-02, 07:24 AM   #3  
stilllearning23
Neither the Haynes manual nor any of 3 Toyota Celica GT shop manuals provides this top secret information . The local dealer has not been very cooperative in assisting me with questions . They want me to have them do the work . Perhaps somebody with first hand experience can provide the info.

Visiting Guest

06-11-02, 08:08 AM   #4  
Joe_F
The genuine Toyota manual WILL tell you how it comes apart if you have that.

The trim might be part of the door panel and not a serviceable/removeable item.

If the shop manual doesn't state how it works/comes apart, in all likelihood it is not a service type/serviceable operation/item.

The shop manual (if you have the true Toyota one) is about as detailed as they get .

Visiting Guest

06-11-02, 09:05 AM   #5  
stilllearning23
I appreciate the feedback . The local autobody shop said that it would come off . Guess I'll start prying .

Visiting Guest

06-11-02, 09:09 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Make sure the piece is still available from Toyota before going ape on it. It might likely be ruined by prying it being that's 25 years old!

Visiting Guest

09-14-02, 03:01 AM   #7  
stilllearning23
I found the proper removal procedure via trial and error . Do not try to pry this piece off. It is held in place as follows : first , there is a black furry strip that covers the edge . This needs to be removed . I believe that I pried the furry strip inward in the direction of the glass . It popped off exposing some rusted clips that are shot . Now , you can that there are secret , sheet metal screws that secure the trim plate onto the door . These are visible / accessible only after the furry stripping has been removed . The rest was logical .

Search this Thread