Not starting when hot

Old 06-11-02, 06:17 AM
dizuel
Visiting Guest
Not starting when hot

I have a 1993 VW Corrado - 2.8L V6, manual transmission.

It will not start when it is hot. That is, when I drive it on the freeway for a while on a hot day, if I stop and shut the engine off, the car will not re-start. All of the electrical systems come on, and the voltmeter reads 12 volts, but when I turn the key, the starter will not turn over

I have to wait around a while before it will start up again. It used to be that it refused to start until the fan stopped running, Now however, even after the fan stops it doesn't start.

I usually wait 10-15 minutes for the engine to cool, and then it will turn over, When it does turn over, it does so reluctantly, much a like a car would on a cold morning.

It will push start, a method I have had to resort to when this phenomenon either puts me in a bad position, or persists for a long time, 20, 30 minutes or more.

Thanks for your suggestions or help

Derek

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-02, 07:10 AM
If you can start it easily by pushing it, then the problem is most likely starter related. It may be missing a heat shield, or may simply be tired, and the head of the engine makes it worse. Check all of the connections first.