Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Car pulling

Visiting Guest

06-12-02, 09:26 AM   #1  
mrcrud
Car pulling

Hi All,

My car is a 1988 Jetta. I know this problem is simple, i'm just not sure what it could be. When accelerating, the car pulls strongly to the right, but when braking, it pulls to the left. I'm not sure if this is only the alignment, or maybe a brake is dragging.

Thanks for any help!

Mr.Crud

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-12-02, 09:28 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Have the front end checked for looseness of any parts.

Also it sounds like a bad caliper flexible hose or a possible stuck caliper as well.

Both sound dangerous, so get them attended to right away.

Visiting Guest

06-12-02, 09:52 AM   #3  
mrcrud
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea which specific parts could come loose and have these effects? If it's just some loose parts, i can always deal with that, but alignment has to be done at the shop. I've also inspected the brake lines, and have seen no problems with any of them.

Mr.Crud

Visiting Guest

06-12-02, 11:03 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Ball joints, tie rods, rack and pinion, bearings and spindles. Dangerous stuff happens when they break. Don't gamble. Get it looked at.

Same with the brakes. You can't "Look" at them and determine much. They rot from the inside out (the rubber lines). I would just change them on a car this old, they are likely clogged with junk causing the pulling.

You can swap around your tires to rule it out being tire or wheel related, but it's not likely to be that.

Visiting Guest

06-12-02, 02:00 PM   #5  
mrcrud
Good idea to swap the tires to rule out wheel/tire problems. My car was completely rebuilt not too long ago ( less than a year ) so i'm optimistic but i do agree that i need to have it checked out.

Thanks!

Mr.Crud

Search this Thread