madza 626 transmission

Old 07-01-02, 12:34 PM
t36
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 90' madza 626 wont change gears

i have a 90 madza 696 automatic it wont change gears. the shifter will move to all gears but it wont move. I tried to put on the emergency brake then off but it still wont move. The hold light on the shifter is flashing, so I pushed it on the off but it still wont move. Any suggestions????

Old 07-01-02, 12:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like internal transmission failure. Time to see a trans pro for this... it's most likely rebuild time....

Old 07-01-02, 01:02 PM
t36
Visiting Guest
help

ok so im a girl and I dont understand what you've said please expand, I drove it to the shop for a battery (after getting a jump) then it just stopped moving. Could you please expand what you are saying.

Last edited by t36; 07-01-02 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-01-02, 01:58 PM
J
Trinitro is most likely 100% correct. Just about the only thing you can do is check your fluid level. If for some reason you are quite a bit low on your fluid, the car might not go anywhere. But then again if you are that low on fluid, you have probably ruined the fluid. A one in a million chance is the possibly of the gear shift linkage falling off. That happened in my old car recently, but newer cars are built differently.

Transmission problems suck. Unless you are an expert, or have quite a bit of experience with them, they are real difficult to trouble shoot on your own. Find a repitable shop to go to for a quote. I would suggest getting more than one quote, trans repairs can get $$$$$.

Old 07-01-02, 02:02 PM
J
This is a long shot, but my brother in law has a saturn. He said that when his alternator goes out, the car does not shift right. There could be some electronic controls that might be effecting you since you said you needed a jump...since your battery or alternator is likely bad(unless u left your lights on) Maybe some one here with more expertise than me might be able to elaborate, confirm, or deny this theory.

Old 07-01-02, 02:04 PM
t36
Visiting Guest
So well...

I have put several $$ into this car in the last 2 years everything from the basic stuff tires, belts and filters to water pump and alternator. I also need the CV joints replaced in the front and to top it all off the compressor went out last year. This sounds like I sould try and salvage the parts that could be worth a few pennies and get another car.

Old 07-01-02, 02:36 PM
T
I would first take the car to a trans shop and have them check to see what is the problem. Most of them will do it for no charge. if you don't like the price and you want to junk it you can do it then. I had a 89 MX6 with 175,000 miles on it and the transmission still ran fine when the head gasket blew. I "trade-it'd in then. ) It may be a simple relay not working, but the flashing light is signaling a problem, a "severe" problem. The car is probably not shifting because the ECM shut down the transmission. Check the fluid first, it may have leaked. You can also disconnect the battery, and then clear the codes. But I would take it to a trans pro first. Disconnecting the battery will clear those codes.

Old 07-01-02, 03:15 PM
t36
Visiting Guest
ECM ?

ECM shut down the transmission; What is the ECM and how does that prevent the transmission from changing gears. I have a manual (haynes) and I can not find it in the book. Is the transmission electrical?

Old 07-01-02, 03:33 PM
J
ECM=electronic control module. In other words, the computer. Your computer could have shut the whole tranny down due to a problem that it might see.

Old 07-01-02, 04:41 PM
Bypass
Visiting Guest
Question 90' madza 626

my problem is that None of the gears work at all (i.e. there is no response)

other than park it seems like it is in neutral

Old 07-01-02, 06:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I suggest you get it to a shop and find out why the light is flashing like that. It's probably a sign of shutdown as others have said.

See what the shop tells you. If it's rebuild time, pitch the car. Those cars are headaches. Mazda is partly owned by Ford which could explain the cockamammie way they do things.

If you feel the first shop isn't truthful, have a second opinion on it.

With that being said, how is the condition of the fluid?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: