Oil Leak!!

Old 06-12-02, 04:25 PM
apachesp
Visiting Guest
Question Oil Leak!!

Hey Guys, I have a 1995 Suburban 1500 w/tow package, well about two weeks age this truck began leaking oil. After searching I found that it was coming from 2 lines that are attached from the radiator to the oil filter unit. Both lines are leaking right at the connection attached to the oil filter unit. I take it these lines are for a oil cooler, anyway my ? is, How do I stop this oil leak? It's begining to get worse. Do I have to replace the lines or can I just replace some gaskets or what? I tried tightening these lines but the leak continued. I also tried Bardul Oil Stopleak. I'm getting worried. By the way I have 129K miles on this truck.
All help will be appreciated!! Thanks

Old 06-12-02, 04:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hit your local GM dealer for an exploded view of those oil cooler lines (yes, that is what they are) to see if there are O-rings there.

If there are, try replacing them. If not, time to replace the fitted lines.

Old 06-12-02, 04:51 PM
apachesp
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks

Thanks Joe Cool!! I'll check that out in the AM and then I'll let you know what happened. STAY COOL!!!

Old 06-12-02, 08:32 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
unfortunately

most GM oil cooler lines are JUNK. Doesn't matter if it's a Suburban, Safari, or pickup truck. Check to see if they are the style that involves a "rubber" style hose with a crimped on aluminum or steel fitting. If so, replace them immediately if leaking at the crimp. You may end up with your oil on the highway instead of in your engine.

Old 06-12-02, 08:34 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
an afterthought...

keep products like stop-leak out of your engine. There's no such thing as mechanic in a can.

Old 06-13-02, 05:24 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
126K? that is amazing, my '98 cooler lines started leaking at 20k--still under warrenty then. Now thet are starting to seep again! This is very common. Replace the lines and hopfully you get another 126k!

Old 06-13-02, 05:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Otter. Leave those witches brews on the shelf.

No need for that stuff in a good running engine. None of that in any of my cars

Old 06-13-02, 05:22 PM
MONTI80
Visiting Guest
OIL LEAK!!

YES FOLLOW JOE COOL ADVISE! GO TO YOUR NEWEST REPAIR SHOP AND REPLACE THE OIL COOLANT LINES. AT THE SHOP I WORK AT WE HAVE DONE ALOT OF THESE LINES!! THERE IS NO WAY AROUND IT.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: