Protege A/C

Old 06-13-02, 10:38 AM
CWatson
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Protege A/C

I've got a 1995 Mazada Protege SL. It's an automatic. I replaced the air compressor twice, both were rebuilt air compressors. The second one seemed to be working all right. Now it's blowing cool air...but not cold. Today the belt started screeching. If I turn the a/c off, the belt will stop screeching. Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-02, 10:56 AM
First thing, check the belt tension. If it is not tight enough, the belt can slip, sometimes noisly.

Old 06-13-02, 11:03 AM
CWatson
Visiting Guest
I actually had the belt tightened about 2 weeks ago. Is it common to have to have the belt tighten frequently? Could the wrong belt have been put on the a/c?

Old 06-13-02, 11:06 AM
A newly installed belt (A/C, fan, alternator) usually streaches slightly after installation and needs to be tightened after a bit of running, but one time usually takes care of it. Nevertheless, if it is loose again snug it up a bit. Wrong belt? Anything is possible, I suppose. bit if it were incorrect, I would think the size would be way off and you either couldn't get it around the pullys in the first place or you couldn't get it anywhere near tight enough.

Old 06-13-02, 11:09 AM
CWatson
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I'll tighten it again and see if that helps.

Old 06-13-02, 01:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

If the belt is original, pitch it without reservation.

Belts and hoses every four years to be safe and prevent breakdowns. Use good quality Dayco, Gates or OEM replacements.

Old 06-13-02, 01:38 PM
CWatson
Visiting Guest
The belt is only 2 years old. I'm not sure what belt the machanic used when he replaced the air compressor. The belt on my car controls both power steering and the a/c. Should I go ahead and replace the belt anyway?

Old 06-13-02, 09:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, replace and retension the belt.

Old 08-24-02, 12:43 PM
uhale
Visiting Guest
SAME PROBLEM, 1995 MITSUBISHI

Hi. Just wondering if the problem could be bearings in the AC compressor. I have had the exact same problem for about a year, on a new belt. Also, how do I loosen the automatic tensioner to replace the belt? THANKS!

Elahu

Old 08-24-02, 02:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
See the autolibrary link that is shown in my signature file below.