Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Intrigue Problem

06-13-02, 02:55 PM   #1  
98 Intrigue Problem

Within the last 60 days, I have started losing the plastic lug nut covers off of only one wheel. I just replaced two, and another one has come off.

Does anyone know how tight these should be torqued? I don't want to strip the threads. Also, could they just be self destructing due to old age, like me?

The local Olds dealer wants nearly $5 each for these things, so I am hoping I can correct the problem.

Thanks.

ps.. I think I can rule out vandalism

Sponsored Links

06-13-02, 05:49 PM   #2  
bulletin #01-03-10-009 What you do is apply permatex #2 to all of the plastic cover threads and reinstall.Might call Olds see if they will cover it,but it would need redone every time the covers need removed for service.

06-14-02, 07:41 AM   #3  
thank you, sir.

I will look for that bulletin and get some Permatex.

As simple as that seems, they have kept it quiet. With people rotating tires, replacing tires, and having flats fixed, you would think that Olds would have wanted everyone to be aware of the fix.

Thanks again

Visiting Guest

06-14-02, 12:33 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Not if they want to sell more parts .

You can buy those covers aftermarket in a parts store.

Motormite/Dorman/Help (part of R&B Inc) has them in their line as well.

06-15-02, 12:32 PM   #5  
Thanks to both of you. I re-installed all the covers this morning with a dab of #2 on the threads, and I suspect I won't have any more problems

06-19-02, 05:58 AM   #6  
I'll give you a warning about your car. I don't know many people that were (long term) satisfied with them.

My sis had a 98 Intrigue, candy-apple red with chrome rims. Ran fast, hard, and fun to drive.

As far as mechanical, it always ran great. No problems, as this car has about the best engine/tranny combo that GM has ever produced IMO.

Interior wise, it's a different story.

The seats tore too easily for her two teen/pre-teen sons, the door handles popped off, the cover that goes over the electric window switches came off on all 4 doors (not at once). The headliner started falling off the back.

She traded it for a 97 Sebring and has been happy since! (Other than the payments on the Sebring b/c on the trade-in, she was about $4000 upside down)

Visiting Guest

06-19-02, 09:22 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I agree on the quality of the Olds (overall) but the Chrysler is lackluster and has never been the bastion of quality.

My friend's mother just spent 1200 bucks to have the head gasket replaced on her 1997 Stratus, 2.4. Look this up on any search engine, you'll find no shortage of complaining about that. A known problem.

06-19-02, 09:34 AM   #8  
Honestly, Joe, I agree with you on Chrysler. If it ain't an old Hemi, I wouldn't buy it if it had that Chrysler symbol on it.

So far she hasn't had any problems with it, other than a mild leak in the convertible top. Her 12 year old son fixed it (don't know how) and it's held for 6 mos.

What, in your opinion, in the $20K'ish range new, $12K range used, is the most reliable car?

Visiting Guest

06-19-02, 09:56 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Truck or anything rear wheel drive .

Trucks are easy to service, parts are available forever and they are durable. Same with rear wheel drive .

If it MUST be front wheel drive, a Toyota Camry. Never liked front wheel drive much though.

Search this Thread