94 Camry charging problem

Old 06-13-02, 09:04 PM
94 Camry charging problem

I just wanted to double check if my conclusion on a dying battery is correct. First, the car acts like either the starter is seized, or the battery is very weak when starting, especially in the morning and after work. Today it barely started after work today, the engine would barely turn a bit. So far it could either by the starter or the battery. Took out my digital multimeter, and measured the voltage on the battery with the engine off. About 12.5 volts. Not bad. Next I turned on the lights, engine still off. Voltage on the battery slowly dropped to about 10V. This looks bad for the poor battery....that seems like very excesive. Next I cranked up the car, and the voltage at the battery was about 14.5V, with or without lights on. It really made no difference. So I assume the alternator is good, starter is good, and battery is bad. Am I correct in my diagnostic? Oh yes, when cranking the battery voltage drops to about 7V. Seems a bit low to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-02, 09:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Look closely at the battery to see if the water level is low. I'll bet it is and this thing is history.

The most common cause of battery failure is water loss. How old is it?

Crank it over, put the DVOM on the battery. Should be 14.2.

Now slowly add accessories, putting everything on (lights, blower, wipers, AC, defroster, etc). Should have 13.5 or more. If not, the alternator is likely wiped.

Old 06-13-02, 09:17 PM
It doesn't look like you can open this battery, it's an ACDelco with the "green" eye. The eye is green, but I know that doesn't mean anything. With the engine running the voltage is 14.5. Turning on the lights makes almost no difference. (14.4) Adding the defroster will drop it less then 0.3 volts. The radio, along with the fan ran during this time. So I shall run to Target tomorow, and replace the poor thing. I don't know how old it is. The car is 8 years old, so I assume 4-5 years old? It does say it has a 6 year warranty on it thought...

Old 06-13-02, 09:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, I realize they are sealed. Most Delco batteries have been since the 70's .

That being said, visually look at the water level in the battery. You can generally "feel" or see the water sloshing around. More than an 1" or so missing of water, the battery is wiped.