car air conditioner

Old 06-15-02, 10:53 PM
lindalee
Visiting Guest
Unhappy car air conditioner

I have a 1988 Celebrity. The air conditioner works and blows out cold air, but only at higher speeds. When I am driving slow, below 45-50 only warm air blows out. When I press the gas pedal hard (for only a second or two), it then starts blowing out cold air. It will continue to blow out cold air until I slow down. Can anyone help?

Old 06-16-02, 03:20 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Check the radiator fan. It should run whenever the a/c is on. If it's not running, the a/c won't work at low road speeds & the car may overheat in traffic.

Old 06-16-02, 04:26 PM
lindalee
Visiting Guest
Question air conditioner

Knuckles, Thanks so much for the information. The fan did not come on when the a/c was running. Another question: Do you think this problem would be a switch, belt or what? I am not mechanical and would like to have an idea of the problem when I take it in to be fixed. Thanks.

Old 06-16-02, 10:23 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your problem will be electrical, probably a switch or relay.

Old 06-17-02, 03:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You don't mention which engine you have in this Celebrity, but many of this vintage had a separate radiator fan switch that turned on the fan. That is the likely problem.

The fan motor itself could be bad, it could have a burned connector, or the motor could be burned out/shorted. It's easy to check, just bring power from the fan from the battery. If the fan spins freely, it's fine, whatever controls it is bad.

Old 06-17-02, 10:13 PM
lindalee
Visiting Guest
air conditioner fan problem

Thanks for the reply. Upon further testing: once the car is running and the temperature is in the normal range, I turn the a/c on and the fan blade does not turn. I can get it to turn if I tap on the connection closest to the fan blade or if I push down on the accelerator fairly hard while in the park postion. Not being able to drive with the hood up, I do not know at what point the fan blade stops turning. Would this probably still be a switch or relay? The celebrity is a V6 2.8 liter. Thanks again.

Old 06-18-02, 11:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you are able to tap the connection and get it working again, I would say check the plug/pigtail to the motor.

Check for looseness of the pigtail and for burned contacts first. If so, replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: