98 Intrigue AC Vent Issue

Old 06-16-02, 02:09 PM
98 Intrigue AC Vent Issue

My AC is working fine, except for the vent selections. Within the last few weeks, the outlet air will not come out of the dash vents only.

Regardless of the selection I make for the appropriate blend, I get air about 50/50 out of the floor outlets and the dash outlets.
Occasionally, after the car has been off for awhile, upon startup the air will come out of the dash outlets only, but it always seems to eventually come out of the floor outlet also.

When I first noticed this about a month ago, I could repeatedly switch between the various outlet positions and finally get the air to divert to dash only. Over the last few days, nothing seems to make a difference. I suspect a control problem rather than vacuum door failure.

Is there any troubleshooting I can do? The AC control panel for this car has always been a bit of a micky mouse design.

I have a bad feeling that there is going to be an expensive electronic control fix that is going to once again give me that GREAT GM FEELING !!!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-02, 02:22 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
you may have a defective controller

If I remember correctly, when the controller fails, it defaults to sending air to the lower and defog vents.

Old 06-17-02, 02:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ah, the great GM feeling . It went away long ago with the demise of simplicity and rear wheel drive cars such as my Olds 88..... When you could fix this problem with an 8 dollar Delco part and a half hour of time . On all of my GM's, that's what this fix would likely be

Since the advent of electronic A/C controls, you have such woes:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/43/984345IB.html

There have been a few HVAC related bulletins. You might visit the GM dealer near you and see the details of any that apply to your vehicle before diving in for a new controller. Many parts stores can also test and rebuild them through their electronics supplier, which is what I would do before diving in for one of them.

Let us know what you find.

Old 06-27-02, 04:18 AM
The saga continues....I was told at my friendly Mr. Goodwrench store that the repair would be a couple of hundred dollars if the controller was out.

An independent garage that has previously done good work for me told me that the part alone was about $ 500!!!!

I guess this is one of the reasons I cleaned and stored my wrenchs in 1983..

Old 06-27-02, 09:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I suggest you have the part tested as I mentioned before diving in for a new one. That's one expensive mistake! Lol.

Old 06-27-02, 01:05 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
a controller

or instrument cluster for that matter is generally cheaper at a GM dealer than an independant for the reason that your core will be shipped back for a rebuild.

Old 06-27-02, 01:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The aftermarkets also do rebuilds of the original core as well. May be a cheaper option...all depends.

Old 07-03-02, 02:39 PM
Thumbs up Honest Dealer !!!

Took my car in this morning to the local Olds dealer after much soul searching. Was prepared for a $ 300 + bill. They called me after about two hours to tell me that car was fixed. When I asked for the damage, I was told $ 65 !!!

" Are you sure you fixed it?" I asked. Turns out that the controller and vacuum doors have a hard plastic or nylon vacuum line that circumnavigates the engine compartment. As it passes by the battery area, it is apt to get abused when changing the battery. Since I have put three batteries on this car, I suspect that my clumsiness was the culprit. Seems that it was damaged awhile ago and the leak got bigger over time, thus disguising a slowly failing controller. The tech spliced into it with new vacuum hose to effect the repair.

Have cold air wherever I want it.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Now, if I can just stop the water leak. Will leave that one for the proper thread...

Search this Thread