Crazy A/C

Old 06-18-02, 07:29 PM
joeybergeron
Visiting Guest
Crazy A/C

Hello,
I have a '97 Nissan Pickup, 4 cylinder, Manual transmission. My air conditioner runs fine except when I select the third or forth speed. When I select 3,4 a strange/loud noise which vibrates my entire cab comes from beneath my glove compartment.
I looked under the hood while selecting these speeds and do not notice anything else affected by the vibrations and noise (engine block, alternator, etc.). The only noise and vibrations come from this cylinder looking thing under my glove compartment.
I know my dad always said, "don't fix it unless it's broken", but these 100+ degree Louisiana afternoons are close at hand! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-02, 11:02 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Sounds like some debris has gotten in to the blower fan. The fan is a "squirrel cage" design & will be thrown out of balance if debris is trapped inside.

The "cylinder looking thing" is the blower motor. Remove it & check the fan blade for debris. While it's out, check the blower motor bearings for excessive slop. Clean or replace as necessary.

Old 06-19-02, 03:40 PM
joeybergeron
Visiting Guest
Crazy A/C rectified

Thanks a bunch Knuckles,
You were absolutely right! Also, the task of cleaning out the motor took me all of 5 minutes. Can you believe there was a 3/4 bolt in that thing? I don't have a clue where it came from.

Since I have your attention, my '95 Nissan Pathfinder, 6 cylinder XE needs a new exhaust manifold gasket. Is this a project I should even attempt? or go directly to a certified mechanic.

Thanks,

Joey

Old 06-19-02, 03:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might choose to look and see if www.autolibrary.org has anything on it.

I believe those VG30 series engines are quite cramped in there

Old 06-19-02, 06:55 PM
joeybergeron
Visiting Guest
Post Manifold gasket project

Thanks Joe,
I did consult the autolibrary site. They had a great illustration of how to exactly change the gaskets out. I think I will attempt the change out this weekend or next.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Joey

Old 06-19-02, 09:48 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
If you choose to do the gaskets yourself, be prepared to pull the heads! The exhaust manifold bolts often break when you attempt to remove them & there's VERY LITTLE room for a drill.

Old 06-20-02, 06:12 AM
joeybergeron
Visiting Guest
Manifold gasket change

Hey Knuckles,

Which way would it be easier...to change out the gaskets from below on a lift, or from up under the hood. The autolibrary illustration demonstrated the change out from under the hood. The didn't mention anything about the heads, but did say to be real gentle with the bolts so they don't crack/break.

Thanks,
Joey

Old 06-20-02, 08:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That's the key....you do it how it appears easy, but Nissan bolts are typically made of gum and snap like nothing. In that case, a routine job will turn into a major gazorch.

Have you priced it out with a muffler shop? They usually do that kind of work pretty reasonably.

Old 06-21-02, 11:16 AM
Re: Crazy A/C

Originally posted by joeybergeron
When I select 3,4 a strange/loud noise which vibrates my entire cab comes from beneath my glove compartment.
Hah! I was stumped until I realized that you meant the fan speed being on 3 and 4.

I thought you meant 3rd and 4th gear.

Old 06-22-02, 12:25 PM
joeybergeron
Visiting Guest
Blower

Yeah, my terminology leaves alot to be desired...anyway, there was a 3/4 inch bolt in the squirrel cage, I'm still stumped on how that got in there, but WHAT a noise when I would turn it on!!
Joey

Old 08-11-02, 06:08 AM
Edgewood
Visiting Guest
Hey there..I have a 95 Pathfinder XE also. I've had my manifold gaskets replaced on both sides! Must be a common problem huh?? On one side they ended up removing the wheel well gaurds for access and re-drilling some holes. in both cases it cost me about $250-300! From what the mechanic told me...it's no picnic replacing these things. Just a warning

Search this Thread