Pep Boys service and TIRES!!!

Old 06-19-02, 06:11 AM
Pep Boys service and TIRES!!!

I have some Pep Boy tires (I actually bought them for looks- they look sharp) on my truck. I've been having some trouble with them lately.

Bought them in 2000, put 30K miles on them. They are LT 235/75R 15 , LT all terrain (not as aggressive as full mud grips, but more aggressive than plain street tires- I need the extra mud traction).

Problem-- The black sidewalls on two of them are wearing off, peeling, leaving some white showing underneath. Looks nasty. And the rear tire is going flat too often- I have to put about 5-8 lbs in it every week, but the others are fine.

I called the store I bought them from, and they asked me if I'd rubbed the curb with them. I had- but not often. I've done that with other tires and never had this problem.

Do you think this damage could be my fault, or should the occasional curb-rubbing not effect the tires, giving reason enough to push for a warranty replacement?

Another question- how can I tell if my shocks are going bad? My truck rides worse than it used to, and I'm thinking that the shocks, especially the back, are going bad. I've heard that if you push sharply down on the bumper, that the truck should only bounce twice, but I can't tell how much it should bounce. It bounces once, and kinda wiggles the second time, not a full bounce.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-02, 09:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The type of truck would be a help.

If the shocks have more than 25k on them, pitch them for new ones. They are probably soggy at this point.

BF Goodrich makes a special sidewall that prevents the tire from being damaged by curb scrapes and other problems like that. I think it's called TriGuard or TripleGuard. Something like that. It's on the T/A All Terrain truck tires.

Admittedly, if you scuff the curb, even once, you could ruin the tire if you hit it right (e.g. sharp curb), so admitting it to them is not likely to help your case .

Old 06-19-02, 09:44 AM
1990 Chev C1500, 2wd longbed.

Well, honestly, if it's my fault then I'll fess up to it (consider I'm a pastor in training so I have a lot to stand for, to say the least).

I may look into the Goodriches.

I am looking for tires with an aggressive stance, but I have factory 15" rims and can't afford special, wider rims.

I can't remember the actual width of the rims, but they are factory.

I am considering some 30X10's R15's (all-terrain) but not too sure if that would cause any problems. I really want to get some good road traction and wet weather traction, as well as the wider and taller stance.

Do you know a link to show and compare tires and skid ratings?

Old 06-19-02, 09:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try www.tirerack.com or call up the respective manufacturer and ask for the information/visit their website.

Old 06-19-02, 10:05 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Tire Sizes

Also visit here to check tire, wheel combinations.

Old 06-20-02, 05:37 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Here's some info. about "private labeling" . I know that companies who buy products and have their labels put on them (this is called private label packaging) go out for bids and buy the lowest price. Most of the time these companies don't know a thing about quality, performance, etc. They're just interested in the lowest cost. Remember Sear's with their Die Hard batteries? They were from Exide (a piece of crap). Sears found out Exide was selling them reconditioned batteries.I don't know about PeP Boy tires, but it could be they are buying junk (rejects??). Unless I'm absolutely sure what I'm buying, I only buy products from the company who makes them, NOT private label brands. Of course, some "private labeling" is good - but how can you tell???

Old 06-20-02, 05:57 AM
I looked at Tirerack's prices, and really I don't see the discount- their prices don't include mounting and balancing. Wal-Mart's tires (good lookin Good years) are only $10 more but that includes mounting and balancing for nearly the same tire. Plus, I don't have to wait for the shipping or tracking down somewhere to mount them.

I bought a couple of tires from Wal Mart and they were mounted and balanced very well.

Anyone have any complaints about WalMart's service?

Old 06-20-02, 09:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dan:

I would agree with you, but private labeling is easy to figure out. You simply call the company and ask. Sometimes the company makes a unique combination for Sears, Home Depot, etc, but most times the innards are the same thing. Sears used to sell Johnson Controls for their batteries and after the Exide fiasco you mentioned, I believe they do once again. Their shocks are the SAME thing as Gabriel's premium shock. An e-mail to Gabriel confirmed that in five minutes for me.

When I bought my DieHard battery charger, I found it was a Schumaker. I simply called and spoke to the marketing manager there who was very helpful and answered my questions. Same thing, different case. Why the difference in price? When Sears offers to buy a couple of hundred thousand of them from you, you'll dance . Perhaps some slightly different features and controls, but it's the same thing.

Sometimes the product is exactly the same without the packaging fanfare and hoopla that comes with advertising it. The KD lockplate puller is the same as the Craftsman I bought....and I have the luxury of bringing it back to Sears when and if it goes bad, no questions asked.

I think the last thing any company wants is to be caught selling junk or supplying it .