timing belt

Old 06-20-02, 11:37 PM
JasonR73
Visiting Guest
timing belt

I've been trying to change the timing belt in my 93 mazda b220o pick up. I'm having problems getting the lower pulley off (the one near the crank).

Being frustrated with this I've thought about just driving it until the timing belt breaks....if it ever would. I changed it after about 60k miles and now has 125k.

Two questions...how do I get the pulley off?

If the belt breaks, will I have engine damage? I do not beleive my truck has an "interface" engine, but I do not know for sure.

Thanks
Jason

Old 06-20-02, 11:56 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Question

What engine is in your truck?

Old 06-21-02, 05:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I assume you used a harmonic balancer puller to remove the lower pulley?

You can check Gates Rubber website to see if your engine is interference or not. If it is, change the belt and the water pump at the same time. If it breaks on you and you have an interference engine, the valves could be bent. Major $$.

Old 06-21-02, 10:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: timing belt

Originally posted by JasonR73
I do not beleive my truck has an "interface" engine, but I do not know for sure.

Thanks
Jason
Hey cool name! Except I'd have to be Jason R 75!

If an engine sustains damage from a timing belt breaking it's called an "interference engine" .

Are you having trouble loosening the bolt to remove the bottom pulley or are you having trouble pulling it off after the bolt is removed?

If you don't have room for a puller then perhaps you can gain a little more access by unbolting the motor mounts and raising up the front of the engine.

Use your own judgment as to whether that will cause damage elsewhere under the hood. I've never even seen a Mazda under the hood.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-02, 08:42 PM
JasonR73
Visiting Guest
First of all thank you for the help.

Knuckles...it is a 93 mazda b2200 2.2 litre carburated engine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: