Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

87 Sentra will not start when hot outside

Visiting Guest

06-20-02, 09:15 PM   #1  
Durham
87 Sentra will not start when hot outside

I am having this on going problem with my 87 Nissan Sentra. When the Temp. outside gets around 80 degrees and higher
and it is sitting is the sun (the shade seems to prevent this)
it will crank like crazy but will not start. Once the sun goes down it will start right up. I have had the fuel pump,fuel filter, and distributor replaced with little effect. My mechanic has been unable to find problem. It is starting to get very aggrivating and is also getting expensive. Can someone help me shed some light on this? Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-21-02, 05:51 AM   #2  
Joe_F
First step is to determine what you lack (fuel, spark or air) when you have the problem.

Have a look at my post "the Basics". Print it out. The next time the problem happens, tell us if you lack spark, air or fuel. That's the start to the answer to your question .

Visiting Guest

06-21-02, 06:17 PM   #3  
Durham
My bad. It is spark that I am not getting. Also I should mention it is a 2 BL. carb not fuel injection. Thanks for attention.

Visiting Guest

06-22-02, 01:10 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Suspect a bad igniter/module if you don't get spark when it's hot.

See if www.autolibrary.org has anything on the testing of it.

Visiting Guest

06-22-02, 06:27 PM   #5  
Durham
Thank you for response. I will tell that to my mechanic on Monday.
Will let all know if this is the problem. Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

06-23-02, 08:36 AM   #6  
trendar
Once you get it running, does it have any problems running?
It'd certainly get hotter than 80 deg. in the engine compartment if you drive it, so I would have expected it to stop running even at night-

Hmm.. Might try hanging some garlic from the rear view mirror -

Visiting Guest

06-23-02, 12:39 PM   #7  
Durham
That is the weird part, when it starts it runs like a champ (does have a small problem when it is cold (55-60) but once it gets warmed up it runs flawless. Even if the temp gets over 100 it will run flawlessly at all speeds. But if hot OUTSIDE and sits in sun will not start after sitting 5-15 min. Now you know whay I am confused. Do not want to hang garlic on morror, that keeps away the night spirits when it runs normal

Visiting Guest

06-24-02, 06:20 PM   #8  
Durham
Looks like the problem has been found. The computer itself appears to be the problem. To verify this my mechanic will let it sit in the sun tomorrow (with windows rolled up) and when it refused to start he will remove the computer (located under passenger seat in front) and put it in a frig. After a couple of hours he will then put back in car (still sitting in sun). If it starts then we have our problem. He tried that today (windows rolled down) and it seemed to work. This will be the utlimate test.

This would also explain why once started it did not die when driving.

Visiting Guest

06-25-02, 08:06 PM   #9  
Durham
Replaced the computer and all is well for now. The proof will be this weekend when it sits in the sun in my driveway all day. If it starts then I will cinsider a success. Thanks for the input all.

Search this Thread