On again/Off again A/C

Old 06-21-02, 08:54 AM
JoySaf
Visiting Guest
On again/Off again A/C

Hi,
My husbandhas a 96 Geo Prism. The A/C comes and goes. It's been recharged and the Dealer said it's clogged and needed to have a $600 part replaced. We went to another local Dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. The A/C comes and goes as it pleases. SHould we take it for a third opinion?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-02, 09:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What do you mean by comes and goes? The cool air? The fan?

Old 06-21-02, 11:13 AM
How long did it take for the technician to determine that it was a clog?

Did he even look at the car?

If there were a clog it would almost certainly be at the orifice tube or expansion valve.
In any case the clog would cause a high jump in pressure on the high-pressure side which should kick off the compressor until the pressure drops again.

Does the compressor cycle on and off? Or does the air just get warm then cold?

If you have a clog that price does sound about right for having to take it in and pay someone to do it. (One of the main reasons I decided I'd learn how to do it myself)

If it's clogged then that means something else is wrong with it as well. There should be nothing but refrigerant and oil in there. Something had to be disbursed in the system either from an a/c system component (like the dryer) or by somebody putting some gunk in there to mess it up.

Old 06-21-02, 11:31 AM
My wifes 1990 Mustang 4-banger's A/C would only blow if you were NOT accellerating. Meaning, at a constant speed or at a stop light, the vents blew strong. When accellerating, they blew nothing.

This problem was fixed easily. This guy in a 1993 Park Avenue totalled her Mustang. Now she has a 2000 Cavalier, nice freezing cold air. Glad she got a chevy.

Old 06-21-02, 11:56 AM
Mako, that sounded like it was a leaky vacuum line or a bad check valve in the vacuum line that controls the climate control flaps.

Too bad about the wreck, but it could have been an easy fix.

Old 06-21-02, 12:51 PM
That AC unit was a MAJOR CAPITOL P.O.S, so no loss there. She had a terrible problem with the O-ring always going out on it. She had to have it fixed every single year from 1996 on.

We got married a month after it got totalled (don't fret she was fine), and I really did breathe a sigh of relief. I dreaded having that POS in my driveway. It was purty, though. Beautiful purple.

Old 07-08-02, 10:46 AM
JoySaf
Visiting Guest
Unhappy A/C

Hi Jason,
Finally last week while on vacation out of town we had someone
else look at it. They did confirm that it was the Expansion Valve.

The original place quoted us $100 for parts and $500 for the labor.

Does this sound possible? At this rate if he were getting paid $42 per hour it would take close to 12 hours.... Please advise ASAP as we have this scheduled for Wednesday.

Joy

Old 07-08-02, 11:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds about right for the part, GM #94855103 or Delco 15-5603. Lists at about 114 bucks, so they are on the mark there.

From the photo in the parts film, it looks like a gazorch to install and possibly very tight quarters to work in. That might be the reason for the labor, but you might ask them to break it down in terms of hours and then multiply that by their hourly rate to see if it's close.