Tire research....

Old 06-21-02, 11:27 AM
Tire research....

I've been checking around at some things b/c I've been considering upgrading the tires on my truck. They are Pep Boys tires (Futura) and I really can't complain other than the fact that one of them has to be pumped every week, and the sidewalls are scrubbing off. Nasty looking.

Anyhow, I want to put a set of 31X10.5 50R15's or similar on my truck.

1990 C1500, longbed 2wd. I want a sorta aggressive tread (I get in mud occasionally, nothing deep), but I like the idea of a wider tire, more aggressive stance.

I have eyeballed the Wrangler RT-S 31X10.5 50R15, and I can get a set, mounted and balanced, $460+tax. Not too bad.

I read tirerack's comments on this tire, and almost all of the 140 comments on it say "wet traction sucks".

You would think that an aggressive tread and wider tire would give better wet traction, which is one of the major considerations I have.

If I needed a thinner tire (ie, not as wide where the tread hits the pavement) to keep good traction, what is the tallest tire you would recommend?

Mako

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-02, 06:49 AM
sciguyjim
Visiting Guest
I don't have any recommendations, but I'll try an explanation. I think a possible reason the wet traction was bad on the tires you were interested in was due to their width. Wide tires have a larger contact patch (area touching the street) so the weight of the truck is spread out over these 4 large contact patches. This results in each square inch of patch having less weight holding the wheel down onto the street. The tires can then act a bit like balloons and float above the water or mud. Narrower tires would get pushed down deeper into the water or mud because the weight of the truck will be concentrated on the smaller contact patches for more lbs/sq. inch. My sports car had wide tires originally and it was almost undriveable in snow because the tires would try to ride up on top of every pile of snow. With narrower tires I can drive it because they cut through the snow better and keep contact with the street. I hope this helped some.

Old 06-24-02, 05:01 AM
That's what I was thinking, but the responces from the people were of that line of tires- meaning 225/60's on up to the 31X10.5/50's

I went to Walmart and, instead of the Wranglers (all-terrain tires) I put on Trackers (all-season) 31X10.5/50's. They look great on my truck. So far I'm happy. The ride quality is incredible compared to the pep-boys (not as stiff). Same shocks.

Old 06-24-02, 01:55 PM
Decided on a decent deal at Wal Mart (even helped them install the tires- man was I bored)

GoodYear Tracker Radials 31X10.5 50R15's

Basically, with roadhazard package, $100 per tire. 50,000 mile warranty.

Anyhow, I can't find any info or feedback on the internet on these tires. I went with the Trackers for 1) good comments from other users and 2) better road tread than Wranglers.

The ride quality on these tires is drastically better than the Pep Boys garbage. I even filed a complaint with them about the quality.

Does anyone know a website (other than www.tirerack.com) that I can read reports and comments on these tires?

Thanks,

Mako