Old 06-21-02, 03:36 PM
ivan8r
Visiting Guest
Transmission fluid disappears...

My vehicle is:
1990 GMC K3500
454 Gas Engine
4x4 - Automatic Transmission

I just recently purchased this truck at a used car lot, and I'm having a problem with the transmission. The vehicle does not leak transmission fluid, but I have to add close to a quart of transmission fluid everyday (some days more). The transmission seems to work fine as long as there is enough fluid, but when fluid gets too low, the truck will not shift into gear. When I check the fluid, there isn't any problem with discoloration or metal flakes, so I'm sure the tranny is still in good shape, but I can't figure out where this fluid is going. Any ideas?

ivan8r

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-02, 06:03 PM
well you might check and see if you have a vacum modulator on your transmision that may be leaking and the engine would be burning it check for a vacum line that runs from engine to transmission it is usually part metal line with vacum line at both ends if you do have one pull the line off at modulator and see if any fluid runs out.
short of that it has to be leaking somewhere does your transfer case bolt directly to the transmission perhaps the fluid is going to your transfer case which at 1 qt a day i wouldnt think it would take long to have a way overfilled and leaking transfer case.