Tranny

Old 06-22-02, 07:01 AM
Skidrow
Visiting Guest
Tranny

Hi, I have a tranny problem. Mom has a 91 Dodge Shadow with a 2.2, 3 speed automatic. Tranny went out and we got one from a junkyard. The orginial tranny had some type of switch on it which was not on the replacement. The replacement did not have a plug or plate to remove so that I could add this switch (?) to the replacement tranny. The tranny was installed without changing the filter as I had no idea of the service history of this tranny. The tranny seemed to work perfect. One morning mom went out and started up the hill (she lives under the road, steep pull) and said it slipped. She says it doesn't do it all the time or at any set time or place. I have tried and tried to get the tranny to act up and have only felt one slip and it wasn't really a slip. The engine doesn't reeve up and it feels more like the pulling axel slips (only felt it for a split second). I have stopped the car half way up this steep driveway and floored it, the car takes right off without any slip. I have also crawled up the hill, no slip. Any Ideals? Tranny has a warrenty but I would perfer to avoid the replacement process if I could. Thanks

Old 06-22-02, 12:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure the transmission is the right one. A junkyard tranny is a HUGE gamble, and 9 times out of 10, you do it twice or three times before it's right.

Have the yard check their Hollander Interchange manual to be sure you got the right unit. That's the first step and we'll go from there.

Old 06-22-02, 01:01 PM
Skidrow
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe,
Grew up above the yard and have known the owner most of my life. According to the manuel the tranny will work. I know from the experience I gained working on the yard that you are correct there are often several returns. The car I got the tranny from had a bad engine, always find out why the car has ended up in the grave.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: