jeep cherokee won't start please HELP

Old 06-25-02, 11:16 AM
USARMYSFCWIFE
Visiting Guest
Angry jeep cherokee won't start please HELP

We have a jeep cherokee, 1984 model. It has been hesitant to go at times, but has held up pretty good until now. We changed to rotary button and distributor cap and checked the plugs but it still won't start. It sounds like when you turn the key that it is going to start but it doesn't. We thought it might be the starter but not sure, somebody said change the cylenoid (not sure if I'm spelling that right), but I'm not sure exactly where that is. I really don't want to take it to the shop, this is our last hope. If somebody has any ideas, I would be greatful to hear from you. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-02, 01:37 PM
mick4tfd
Visiting Guest
Jeep help

You in china grove texas? call me:
254-421-2160
mickey

Old 06-25-02, 01:58 PM
USARMYSFCWIFE
Visiting Guest
no sorry NC

Sorry, it's north carolina

Old 06-25-02, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
If you don't mind getting advice from an old retired Jarhead, here goes.

The solenoid is the electric relay that closes when you turn the ignition switch to the "start" position. The solenoid is needed to carry the extremely large amount of current required to turn the starter. If the juice went through the ignition switch itself it would basically melt. When you turn the ignition switch, if the engine turns over (components/belts on the engine are turning)
your solenoid is fine and likely starter okay, too.

What you need to do is narrow down the problem to either fuel problem or ignition (spark) problem.

That vintage Jeep I'm guessing is carbureted vice injected, so checking for fuel is fairly easy. Remove air cleaner so you can see down the carburetor throat and pump the gas a few times. You should see fuel squirting. Also check side of carburetor body; some vehicles have little sight glasses where you can look to see the fuel level in the varburtor bowl.

For ignition check, remove one of your spark plug wires at the plug and hold it about 1/4" or so from the side of the engine of exhaust manifold (has to be a metal surface). Crank engine and look for spark jumping to ground (the metal surface). Alternately you can do the same thing by removing the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor at the distributor end and checking as above.

Post back what you findand we'll see what we can do. One possibility is going to be fuel pump or clogged fuel filter if it's a fuel problem.

Old 06-25-02, 06:33 PM
USARMYSFCWIFE
Visiting Guest
Thanks ... but

We did check the carb. for fuel and it is getting fuel, we also took the spark plug wire off and they said it was fine there too. So, back to HELP! Somebody had told me possibly timing belt, another person said something about a rod going into the engine? I don't know, we are calling a garage tomorrow because I think this is bigger than a do it yourself job. Oh well, Thanks everybody for your help!!

Belinda

Old 06-25-02, 08:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Take the distributor cap off. Crank over the heap, I mean Jeep .

Tell us if the rotor turns or not. If not the timing chain slipped off from wear and age. Time for a new one.

TowGuy: You are correct. This vintage tank has a Motocraft 2 bbl. carburetor not worth .50 on a good day. AMC and later Chrysler held out with this horrific design until the demise of this large barge in 1991. In 1993, the Grand Cherokee with the 318 and fuel injection replaced it.

Old 06-26-02, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Wife:

Not likley a rod; when they let loose, you'll know it - will sound like the entire engine is coming apart basically.

Old 06-27-02, 04:51 AM
umpire
Visiting Guest
I dont know if this wil help you or not but I have a 1989 that had exactly the same problem as yours.

The mechanic replaced the "Crank Sensor" and the problem disappeared and has not returned. The part cost about $50.

Since ours has fuel injection and electronic ignition I am not sure if your model will have this sensor in it.

John

Old 06-27-02, 09:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You then have the small Cherokee which is a totally different animal than this old beast.

This is an old time vehicle with a Ford/Motorcraft electronic ignition. It doesn't have a crank sensor like your 1989 does.

Since we have not heard back from the original poster, we do not know what the resolution or even what the problem was

Search this Thread