1991 Chevy Truck head head gasket

Old 06-25-02, 03:33 PM
watto350
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1991 Chevy Truck head head gasket

I have a 1991 chevy pick up 4cyl automatic. It started losing compression on me and a little water and steam was coming out the tail pipe. After talking to a few mechanics, they stated it could be a head gasket or a crack head. I'm currently in the process of taking parts off to get to the head. My question is do you have any material that's user friendly for dummies like myself. Material that can tell me the location of any hidden bolts that need to come off. I've taken mostly everything off from around the head and it is visible. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-02, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Pick yourself up either a Haynes or Chilton manual for the vehicle; will be worth the money. You'll be needing torque values, among other things, and they'll be in there.

Old 06-25-02, 09:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with TowGuy except that the Chilton and Haynes manuals are typically table props on serious repairs. Very lackluster and too generic.

You might try to find a used shop manual set from GM. And you're in luck, I have one for sale that I was going to Ebay. Lol. It was from a 1991 S10 Blazer my neighbor/mechanic/friend owned and subsequently grenaded. Lol.

Old 06-26-02, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Agree with Joe as usual. I always love how easy the Haynes/Chilton makes some things sound - "loosen harmonic balancer bolt and remove balancer" - glossing over the fact that the bolt was put on with about a million ft.lb. of torque at the factory 10 years ago.