Amazing what normal maintenance will do!

Old 06-26-02, 08:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amazing what normal maintenance will do!

1990 Chev C1500, 4.3V6, 111K miles, manua trans

Everything seemed to be running fine for an old 6, engine wise. I keep up with oil changes every 3K to 4K.

Saturday and Sunday, I worked my butt off on this thing. I won't even talk about how dirty it was, the washing, carpet scrubbing, and polishing took more time than anything.

Anyhow, I did the following

1) New plug wires (Autolite)

2) New O2 sensor (never changed- the old one was really cruddy)

3) New plugs about a year ago so they didn't need changing.

4) Oil change with Pennzoil High Mileage 10W 30, one can of 6 cyl Engine Restore. Fram filter.

5) Had Wallyworld put new Goodyear 31X10.5 50R15 meats on it- man are they better than that Pep Boys Futura crap.

Anyhow, after putting 50 miles on my truck since all the work (not to mention scrubbing) my truck runs (and looks) better than it ever has. I really think that the new 02 sensor and plug wires really made a difference. The Pennzoil High Mileage stuff is great- smooooth running engine (had been using 5w30 standard Penn)

Do those high-performance (ie, low ohm) plug wires really make a difference with a stock ignition? Also, if I have my original distributer cap, should it be changed only b/c of high miles.

Mako

Old 06-26-02, 09:56 AM
jbbooks
Visiting Guest
A new dist. cap isn't that expensive, and yes it should be changed. I've had a 4.3 that wouldn't start because of it. Truck ran fine when I parked it after work, then the next morning no start, all it took was a new dist. cap. Take yours off and look at the terminals inside, probably in bad shape. Change the rotar at the same time.

Old 06-26-02, 01:11 PM
Well, I've never done the new cap or rotor before. I bet it is aggrivating. I may get my mechanic buddy to do it or I'll have that truck backfiring like a fully automatic Howitzer. Thanks!!!

Old 06-26-02, 04:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes it is amazing what TLC and the basics will do to an old truck. I took care of some surface rust on my 84 Olds today and even with the Duplicolor hitting the faded spots, it looks decent again. Lol.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Do the basics (fluids and filters) and tune up and sensor items and the vehicle will run for a very, very long time and be trouble free .

Good job.

No, AC Delco stock wires are fine for this truck. That or good aftermarket replacements. Performance wires are a waste on a stock truck.

Old 06-27-02, 04:28 AM
Well, all, it was all useless. Everything I did Saturday was useless. Spent $400 on new tires, $100 on parts and misc stuff. And I totalled my truck yesterday (Wed). I rear ended a lady- I was going 30 when I hit her- she was in a big olds cutlass looking thing. Front of my truck completely gone (did it's job well, a nice sacrifice for safety). Nobody major hurt, just all shaken and sore. Nothing left but the crying. And a lot of it. Me.

Old 06-27-02, 09:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest

Sorry to hear that, but the truck can always be salvaged. Your life can't always be salvaged. Always remember that, as tough as it sounds to swallow.

The good news is that truck parts are pretty reasonable and cheap and you should be able to get it looking nice again in no time with some phone calls and some elbow grease .

Old 07-01-02, 04:44 AM
No, Joe, I'm afraid it isn't that easy. The damage extends pretty much beyond the radiator. I wouldn't be surprized of the frame wasn't warped a little, too. The body shop quoted about $5000 to fix it, and that's exactly what the ins company quoted me for coverage. Looks like I'm looking for another vehicle.

Tell me- do you know if the older (ie, 80's to 93) Dodge Rams (half ton) are reliable? They're kinda nice looking and I may get one of them. I hear that the automatics are bad trannys.

Also, I'm eyeballing an 86 Cutlass Supreme in decent condition. It needs no body work (paint and bumpers and body fillers in good shape) but needs a new electric window switch and some A/C work. Has 130K on the 5.0 (either a 305 or 307, I'm guessing 307) and it's rear wheel drive. The engine and tranny run and shift as smooth as honey-butter, though I looked at a V6 Lumina that has a LOT more power even though this sucker has a 5.0. In your opinion, are these good cars?

Old 07-01-02, 05:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The Cutlass rear wheel drive is a 307 in that year unless it's an export, then it's possibly a 305.

The Lumina will be dead, crushed and a Toyota while the Cutlass is still running strong . It's just an old school car that runs forever. Even longer if you take care of it. I know, I've owned many GM rear drivers since I started driving 15 years ago .

With that being said, the Chrysler trucks are lackluster products. Chrysler was at its ultimate in stretching a buck back then.

My vote's for saving a few dollars and buying BOTH the Cutlass and another old GM .

Old 07-01-02, 08:49 AM
Why two old GM?

BTW I had an 85 Riviera with a 307 that, at 150K miles, started slapping a rod at 3K RPM. Front wheel drive. Yech.

Anyhow, if I'm looking at the 86 Cutlass, with over 100K miles on it, what would you recommend I do to it for maintanence? Obviously new plugs and wires, distributor cap, etc...

Would a new ignition system (ie, MSD) help? This car performs ok 0-40, but has no romp to it when you get down on it. I was also thinking of putting some flowmasters on it. I hope they sound trick.

Mako

Old 07-01-02, 08:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You're wasting your breath and money on a 307. It has no power. It's a flat slug. It will run forever but the average V6 and most 4 cylinders today will leave you staring at their taillights at the stoplight...it's a luxury, not performance car.

Even the 442 of that year was no performer. Beautiful looking car, but slow as crap .

As for what to do with it, just regular TLC, fluid and filter changes and the basics. It will run forever.

The front wheel drive GM's like that Riviera were not as durable as their rear wheel drive counterparts.

I have over 10+ people I know with well over 100k on those 307's, including my every day Oldsmobile

Why 2 of 'em? Because with the money you save, you can have a truck and a car .

Old 07-01-02, 08:59 AM
>>

Not with my insurance, I can't. I got a 4-pt ticket for hitting the lady. Otherwise, I've never had a blemish. Ouch.

As long as you're confidant that this thing is reliable, I'll probably go with the Olds (it's just plain classier). I am just afraid of the power windows and locks going out.

Mako

Old 07-01-02, 09:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I can only tell you from my experiences with them that these cars are reliable. Make sure you check it out stem to stern for any problems.

I own six cars, all on the road with the exception of one parts car and one I'm selling .

Old 07-01-02, 02:31 PM
Heh Heh, I found this. You have to read it. BTW, make sure you read the ending- this guys sounds like was bonded with his olds like I was with my pickup.
I'm going to print this out and give it to my mechanic friend and tell him "check for these things and give me an estimate".

I wonder- with all the engine problems he's had, why the heck didn't he just yank out to motor and put a 350 in it? It can be done, I know of 2 of them in Rock Hill, my town, alone. Fast cars, I might add.

http://slamology.tripod.com/cars/olds/

Old 07-09-02, 10:54 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
mako

use only deco oil filters

Old 07-09-02, 01:47 PM
Well, I've only used Fram and like them. Delco is certainly a quality filter.

And yes, Jesus ALWAYS answers prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless!!

Mako

Old 07-09-02, 04:50 PM
Well! This thread sure has it's twists and turns.

Glad to hear you're ok, mako!

I just wanted to chime in about the regular maintenance.
I've had a '90 grand prix since it was 5 years old with 66k miles.

It's my work "beater" now with (I'm fairly certain) well over 200k miles. The odometer quit working about 4 years ago at 135k miles.

All I've really done to it mechanically is oil changes and tire changes. (Had to change the heck out of many ignition modules before I realized the crank sensor was blowing them.... oops!)

Oh man, now I'm reminded of the brakes. (Especially the rear)

All in all it's been dependable... and I've done all the work to it myself. I still haven't told it that it's paid off though.

Old 07-10-02, 03:55 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
oil filters

guys go to the search engine google and type in oil filter study good reading.

Old 07-10-02, 05:32 AM
My mother in law had a 1990 Grand Am that some mechanic claims that the engine (quad 4) went bad in.

I think it's the same SOB that told her that my wife's car's engine was gone.

When I was dating my wife, she had a 4 cyl '90 mustang that ran hot on her and stalled (isn't the computer module supposed to shut it down at a certain temp?). It sat there for 4 hours after I picked her up. I went back and cranked it up and drove it back to her house 3 miles away, no problem, just as strong as ever (as strong as a 4 banger should be). The Ford place (haven't a clue why she took it there) said she cracked her block and cost them over $3000 to put in a new engine. I told them not to but I couldn't get too involved with that.

Now, I don't know if it's the same place she took the Grand Am to, nor do I know what actually happened, but the engine went in the Grand Am. She traded it for a Neon. Yack! Neither the Grand Am nor the 'stang had over 100K miles on them. And they were lightly driven by two very passifist drivers. I think they got ripped, personally. I wouldn't do business with that Ford place for nothing. I'd rather my 15 year old nephew rebuild an engine than them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: