Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

van radiator fans not running

Visiting Guest

06-26-02, 09:45 AM   #1  
jbbooks
van radiator fans not running

My wife's car is a '97 Chrysler town and Country with 80K on the engine. It has a 3.8 v-6, automatic trans.
My problem is that the radiator fans don't run, and the car overheats because of it. The A/C runs ok as long as the car is at highway speeds. when the airflow thru the radiator slows, then the problem begins. I'm guessing there is a temp. sensor that is not telling the fans to run. My fuse (a 40 amp, big sucker) is ok, I ohmed it out and moved it to a different position on the fuse block. The other possibility is that a relay is not pulling in somewhere, but it's not shown on the fuse block. Any ideas?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-26-02, 10:11 AM   #2  
xiii13
Check the fan relay. Usually a temp sensor tells the ecm what the temp is, then when that set temp is met, the ecm grounds the fan relay.

06-26-02, 10:15 AM   #3  
Run jumper wires from the fan to the battery and if the fan runs it's probably the relay, if not it's the fan.

Visiting Guest

06-26-02, 04:35 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Do as the others have told you. The fan relay as I recall is located near the LH headlight and is a common failure part..most dealers stock it.

Search this Thread